Thursday, 23 October 2008

Heavy Metal and You by Christopher Krovatin


So here's the story:

Boy listens to lots of loud music and hangs with friends
Boy meets girl
Boy falls dippy-happy-scared-as-hell in love with girl
Friends meet girl- and aren't impressed
Girl meets friends- and isn't impressed
Boy meets big dilemma
Boy plays music even louder
Big dilemma meets big, complicated resolution.


I read this book last night and I thought it was fantastic. I got about two pages in and straightaway thought that it was way too short.
To summarise: Sam, metalhead, meets Melissa, preppy straightedge goddess. Sam is into getting stoned, wasted and moshing with his best mates, Brent and Irish. Melissa is into Greek mythology, not drinking, and hanging out with the in crowd.

The way these kids talk, is almost exactly how me and my mates talk. Well, not exactly. But the "yo mama" jokes and constant swearing certainly rings a bell. What I'm trying to say- it sounds real. The author has picked up a little slice of metalhead culture and written it down in a fantastic book about love, loss, and Slayer.

Sam and Melissa's relationship is really lovely to read about, but you can see the cracks appearing, along with Sam, and the end of the book is almost a relief when all the little niggling and things reach a conclusion.

Sam is fun, funny and a great protaganist, and when he goes out with Melissa and her friends you know exactly how he feels and you feel so sorry for him.

When I was reading it half of the scenes between Sam and Melissa made me think of me and Keiran, and nearly all of the scenes between Sam, Brent and Irish reminded me of me, Dean and the Sex God. The characters, storyline, dialogue -just everything, in fact- ring so true, and I for one could easily identify with it.

I think this is a seriously fantastic book. I don't know if we're rating them, but if we are I give it 3.5 stars.
Apologies for the shit quality of the picture, by the way :']

1 comment:

  1. Ooh sounds interesting, I'll add that to my to read list. :)

    (oh and I fixed the picture of the cover for you)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.