Friday, 24 October 2008

Paper Towns by John Green


I haven't posted a book review yet, and I just finished Paper Towns, so why not make it my first review?


Title: Paper Towns
Author: John Green
Summary: Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Speiegleman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life-dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge-he follows.
After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues-and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew. (Summary from the inside flap of the dust jacket.)

I absolutely loved Paper Towns. It is definitely at the top of my "favorite books" list, along with Looking For Alaska.

Just like John's other books, Paper Towns is really funny. But the thing is, that can change really quick. The book would have me laughing on one page, it would nearly make me cry in another, and the next page would make me smile. But it all seems connected.

I don't like Paper Towns because I relate to any of the awesome characters in it, I like it because it made me think-really think.

But Paper Towns isn't one of those super-serious books Language Arts teachers would force you to read. It's actually really funny. It's one of the reasons why I love John's writing to it. He can make a book hilarious, but he can add a good message into the story.

Some of my favourite quotes from the beginning of the book:

May contain spoilers!

"IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT THAT MY PARENTS OWN THE WORLDS LARGEST COLLECTION OF BLACK SANTAS!"

"You you just got to tell her, man. You just have to say 'Angela, I really like you, but there's something you need to know: when we go to my house and hook up, we'll be watched by the twenty-four hundred eyes of twelve hundred black Santas"

"HEY! Ninjas don't splash other ninjas!"
"The true ninja doesn't make a splash at all"
"Ooh, touché"

(after sucking out snake poison)
"How was making out with my leg?"
"Pretty good."

End of "spoilers"

There are a ton of funny quotes in Paper Towns, but I don't want to give them away. *insert evil
laugh here*

PAper Towns is an amazing book. I'd give it a 10000000/5 stars if i could. But I can only give it five stars, so it'll get five stars.

~Melody

P.S. I had to re-post it. I messed up the first one in a pathetic attempt at coding.

2 comments:

  1. i love john green.
    he does a video project on youtube with his brother hank. you should check it out if you havn't. his vlogs are really interesting (and funny). search nerdfighters on youtube. anyway this book was amazing. i loved the 'honeybunnies' talk from ben :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I've been watching the vlogbrothers since it started (and I've been a Nerdfighter since that first started too) - I found his vlogs after I read Looking for Alaska years ago. He's a legend. :]

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.