Wednesday, 25 August 2010

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Note: This was a review I wrote way back when we first started this blog in 2008 and I moved some to drafts to edit them and remove spoilers (because when this blog first started, it was just me and a bunch of friends writing reviews for each other and the reviews were more personal because of that and we had spoilers in our reviews).

This Lullaby
by Sarah Dessen

Summary from Amazon: The narrator, a cynical girl called Remy, tells of her time after she finishes school and before she starts college.

In this time she meets a boy, Dexter, who's everything she hates- messy, disorganised, impulsive and worst of all a musician, like her absent father.

Remy swore she'd never have anything to do with a musician, after her father wrote her a song, 'This Lullaby', on the day she was born, before dying. She even hates love itself, thanks to her mother's four marriages. But she's finding it difficult to keep on thinking like this with Dexter around...

Hmm... well, I did like the book, but it was over rated. Everyone that I had spoken to said it was brilliant and I did think it was good... just not as good as everyone says it is.

I think that may have something to do with the fact I spent half of the book wanting to bitch slap some sense into Remy and the other half realising that I'm actually a lot like her (which may actually have had something to do with aforementioned desire to bitch slap her).

I mean, the whole divorced parents, dead dad, mum married multiple times, commitnent phobia and cynical about relationships things are all true for me too. Basically, I relate too much to Remy, so that made the book less enjoyable because she drove me nuts.

I loved Dexter (and his dog Monkey). He was lovely, which was another reason I thought the book was over rated... not because he was lovely, but because we didn't get to see enough of him, or enough of him and Remy together. I wish it focussed a little more on their relationship because that was the most enjoyable thing about the book.

I did like the ending, but it was kind of predictable, I pretty much figured out how it would end about halfway through the book.

The book did have that charm that all of Sarah Dessen books have and it is really realistic and the characters and their problems are easy to relate to and the writing is great, just like with Sarah's other books... there was just something lacking. It had the potential to be fantastic but it didn't quite work for me. Good book, not great. I think it's one of those stories I would probably absolutely adore if it were a movie and we didn't have to be stuck in Remy's head the entire time.

To give you more of an idea of what I think of the book overall, it'd probably get about 3/3.5 stars out of 5. I do recommend the book still and other people seem to love it, it just wasn't one of those books that I adore.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. That was probably one of the best books I'd ever read. It was seriously the greatest. :)

    Sarah Dessen books are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell in love with this book from the very first page! I am a big fan of love stories and this book left me spellbound! What i liked best about "This Lullaby" is that it isn't your average cinderella like fairytail. It talks about the life of a normal teenage girl and shows how much love really sucks...It isn't all smiles...Remy has to deal with her mothers multiple ex-husbands and her own large set of ex-boyfriends. Love is never perfect and can be found in unexpected ways. Remy and Dexter are too very different people, but opposites attract. I would recomend reading this book if your are having trouble finding love...it gives great advice.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.