Saturday, 3 January 2009

Cindy Ella by Robin Palmer.





Title: Cindy Ella
Author: Robin Palmer
Summary (stolen from Amazon as always): Prom fever has infected LA—especially Cindy’s two annoying stepsisters, and her overly Botoxed stepmother. Cindy seems to be the only one immune to it all. But her anti-prom letter in the school newspaper does more to turn Cindy into Queen of the Freaks than close the gap between the popular kids and the rest of the students. Everyone thinks she’s committed social suicide, except for her two best friends, the yoga goddess India and John Hughes–worshipping Malcolm, and shockingly, the most popular senior at Castle Heights High and Cindy’s crush, Adam Silver. Suddenly Cindy starts to think that maybe her social life could have a happily ever after. But there’s still the rest of the school to deal with. With a little bit of help from an unexpected source and a fabulous pair of heels, Cindy realizes that she still has a chance at a happily ever after.

This book was... okay. It wasn't great, I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either and it's unlikely to be one I'd ever feel the urge to reread.

It's a total chick lit book, but it's not the good kind that leaves you with that kind of girly happy feeling when you finish reading it -- it's just like "Well, okay then" then you forget about it.

Cindy's character is kind of annoying at times, sort of like it's supposed to appear that she's awesome and down to earth and all that just because she isn't one of the "popular" people but it sometimes just comes across like she's really judgemental and she's always spouting the opinions of people she admires as if they were her own, maybe she does agree with them but sometimes it's as if she's saying she agree just because she wants to come across a certain way.

All the stuff with her therapist was annoying, she was kind of immature in a bad way and it seriously bugged me that after meeting a guy once she decided that he was her soulmate but at the same time she liked someone else too... it was just, it sort of made teenage crushes seem really immature (like I know when I was 15 I wasn't as immature about crushes as that).

Anyway, her character isn't likable some of the time, although she does have her moments.

The text talk in the IM conversations bugged me, but I guess it's just because that's one of my pet peeves and I think it makes someone who is supposed to be smart appear to be a total dumb ass when they're all "ur @ no1 lolz" eugh.

Adam was kind of cute, I liked his character and I loved Cindy's two best friends India and Malcolm. Malcolm totally reminded me of Roo at times. Like this part:
"Malcolm, you think every cute boy is gay or at least seriously confused!" I shrieked.
I could tell by the way his eyes were narrowing that he was about to start channeling his inner diva. He started huffing and puffing, tsking, and if he had had long hair, he definitely would've flipped it.

That is just like the conversations me and Roo have when we're arguing over boys. I kid you not, right down to the "tsking" and me complaining that he's always announcing hot guys are gay.

The plot was predictable -- like, long before anything was revealed it was blatantly obvious what was going to happen and the plot wasn't really original (it was actually a lot like A Cinderella Story in a lot of ways, except the characters were different and instead of going to the ball, Cindy is all "antiprom").

Anyway... I'd give this 2.5/5. It was entertaining, it had it's funny moments, it has funny characters and it didn't suck completely but it wasn't very good or original.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way I can start on my 50 book challenge thing. I'm not sure what I'll be reading next, I'll probably just pick one at random and I'm going to add the books I'm reading to the sidebar in my blog to keep track of them.

-Lanna

1 comment:

  1. Hm. I've seen that book in stores before but I've never picked it up..
    or bought it.

    I might though. x]

    ~L

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.