Thursday, 1 January 2009

Go Ask Alice



I just finished Go Ask Alice today. Literally just minutes ago. So of course I jump onto the computer to convince you all to read it :)

Alright. The Basics:
Title: Go Ask Alice
Author: Anonymous. (This book was actually a diary. Therefore the anonymous-author-ness.)
Summary: (From the back cover of the book)
"January 24th
After you've had it, there isn't even life without drugs."

It started when she was served a soft drink laced with LSD in a dangerous party game. Within months, she was hooked, trapped in a downward spiral that took her from her comfortable home and loving family to the mean streets of an unforgiving city. It was a journey that would rob her off her innocence, her youth-and ultimately her life.

At times I found Go Ask Alice very hard to read because the sentences are long and rambly and entirely different from what I'm used to.

(But, what can you expect? Does anyone but me actually use proper grammar in their diaries?)

I liked the story very much, though at times things happened and I got confused because they weren't explained until at least three entries later.

(SPOILER!s are in black. highlight to read.)

For me, one of my favorite entries were reading what it was like for the diary's owner to be under the influence. The descriptions were amazing.

But, for example, I got very confused when suddenly our main girl was locked in a hospital all bloodied and ruined, and I didn't get it until it was explained, and even then there are things that I could poke holes through, like...who put the acid in the peanuts that made her go all crazy?

I was more confused because of the fact that our main girl was doing so well. Drug-free, happy and all that and then- BOOM! Straight to the hospital and then the insane asylum.

The characters in the book were all very..lively? I guess. Almost all of them were involved in the drug game, and therefore the character was probably a twisted version of itself through the manipulation of drugs. But viewing everything through the main girl's eyes makes it all the more real

Overall, a very good book. Get it and read it you fools! (Also, if you like the diary kind of things, read "It happened to Nancy" as well.)

Now, onto other business:

I'm going book shopping soon. I need recommendations for things you think I should read.

I like every genre :)

xoxo

-{mari}

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.