Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr


Title: Story of a Girl
Author:
Sara Zarr
Summary: When she is caught in the backseat of a car with her older brother's best friend - Deanna Lambert's teenage life is changed forever. Struggling to overcome the lasting repercussions and the stifling role of "school slut," she longs to escape a life defined by her past. With subtle grace, complicated wisdom and striking emotion, The Story of a Girl reminds us of our human capacity for resilience, epiphany and redemption.

I actually didn't like this book all that much (didn't hate it, but didn't like it either), I forced myself to finish it quickly because I didn't want to linger on it and wanted to move onto a better book. It was kind of disappointing, because I had high expectations for the book because of the good things I've read about it.

I can't really put my finger on exactly what it was about the book that I didn't like - maybe it was a mix of things, like the fact that I just didn't like the main character at all and most of the time her thoughts either bored me or made me wish she was real just so I could yell at her or whack her upside the head... I just couldn't bring myself to like her and when you really don't give a damn about the main character then it's kind of very difficult to like the book. And I didn't like the plot all that much either, it sounded good on the back of the book but it wasn't nearly as good to actually read about.

I didn't like the ending or the fact it focussed the story so much on some things and not on others, it really dragged on and on at certain parts (which is kind of bad considering it isn't a very long book) and it was just... I just really didn't like it.

But at the same time, even though I didn't like the book, it's one of those ones where I could sort of understand why other people might like it even if I don't - it wasn't one of those books that are so bad that I can't fathom how anyone could like it. I thought it was bad, but that's just my personal taste, I can see it's appeal for other people though.

It isn't one of the books I'd recommend someone to read, but I wouldn't say not to read it either - it's just one of those ones you'll have to read and judge for yourself, I seem to be in the extreme minority in not liking it judging by Amazon reviews.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.