Monday, 18 May 2009

Shrinking Violet by Danielle Joseph


Title: Shrinking Violet
Author:
Danielle Joseph
Summary: High school senior Teresa Adams is so painfully shy that she dreads speaking to anyone in the hallways or getting called on in class. But in the privacy of her bedroom with her iPod in hand, she rocks out -- doing mock broadcasts for Miami's hottest FM radio station, which happens to be owned by her stepfather. When a slot opens up at The SLAM, Tere surprises herself by blossoming behind the mike into confident, sexy Sweet T -- and to everyone's shock, she's a hit! Even Gavin, the only guy in school who she dares to talk to, raves about the mysterious DJ's awesome taste in music. But when The SLAM announces a songwriting contest -- and a prom date with Sweet T is the grand prize -- Sweet T's dream could turn into Tere's worst nightmare....

Thanks to this book, I've thoroughly messed up my sleeping pattern (again), which is a good sign - I couldn't put it down and stayed up all night reading it, it was awesome.

All of the characters just seemed so real, especially Tere - I am freakishly shy, it's practically a disability and just, the way she was in the book just described that crippling shyness perfectly and things that made her panic in the book or cringe-worthy things that happened to her because of her shyness have happened to me too and it was just... awesome and she was so easy to relate to.

People who aren't quiet or shy really don't get it, it's hard for them to understand how horrible it can be and they seem to be under the illusion that shy people are boring or have nothing interesting to say because we don't speak much, but that's not true, they just need to give us a chance to open up (in my last year of high school, I became proper friends with someone I'd technically known for years and one day in class she actually said to me "Alanna, you're surprisingly funny!" - she was genuinely shocked, it was quite hilarious and I found it even funnier that she took so long to notice such a big part of my personality because I was too shy to show it before).

Seeing a character written, describing exactly how I have felt pretty much all my life was great, I was just thinking "wow, someone actually gets it! I'm not a total freak!" and I think maybe it'll make non-shy people understand what it's like too, if they read the book.

I loved the whole radio aspect of the story, I've always thought it seemed really fun to be a radio DJ but I doubt I'd have the guts for it, and this book totally made me want to be on the radio (I'm not even kidding - now, I know that'll probably never happen, but I'm so going to try doing a podcast or something, just to see what it's like).

I'm not sure if I have the same taste in music as Tere does in the book, but her love for music and just the way she describes it and how it's such a huge part of her life, I loved that and I totally get it because I'm that way too, I'm practically surgically attached to my iPod (no joke, my family enjoy taking the piss out of me for it - they find it particularly funny that it's become such a habit that I can now figure out what they're saying even when I can't hear them properly over the music).

The other aspects of the book were awesome too - the romance part (although I knew what was going to happen from the start, it wasn't one of those surprising twists, but it was still great), the friendships, her relationship with her mum, all of it was good. Oh and being inside of Tere's head was really amusing at times, I laughed out loud quite a lot.

Sorry this review has been almost more about me than the book, but to sum up; the book was really good, you should check it out. :]

Later.

P.s. Reminder, the contest ends on Friday (22nd). It's awesome, I didn't think that many people would enter! :]

1 comment:

  1. Don't apologize for the review containing alot about you as well as book information. It speaks volumes for how well the author connected to you, which is great in itself. Nice job on this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.