Monday, 6 July 2009

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Hey guys. Well, finally gotten around to reading the book I won in the competition - Jellicoe Road. Again, thank you so much Lanna.

OK: Jellicoe Road

Taylor Markham was left on the 7 Eleven by her mother when she was eleven years old. She was then picked up by someone named Hannah, and brought to Jellicoe School, where she's spent (almost) every moment up until now. At seventeen, Taylor's live has been a bit of a rollercoaster: she's tried to run away in order to find her mother and managed to bring Jonah Griggs along for the ride, has witnessed a suicide, and has always looked on while the war raged between Jellicoe, the Townies and the Cadets. Hannah and her unfinished house by the river are the only things that remain constant, including Hannah's scattered never-ending novel about five friends who seem strangely real and connected to Taylor.

Then everything changes. Taylor is elected as the house leader and on top of that the leader of Jellicoe school, much to everyone's surprise (including hers!) and is expected to negotiate with the Townies and Cadets in order to keep the peace that the secret society of students have been trying to keep since as long as she can remember. And it really doesn't help that Jonah Griggs is the leader of the Cadets!

I'll stop summing up the story now, shall I?

Had me hooked from the beginning. The story did not gradually build up, nor start slowly. Bang! and it began, my eyes were glued to the page. There were plenty of twists and turns, and while I figured the riddle out long before Taylor did, coming along for the ride while she caught up was no bore. I cried, I laughed, and I was altogether infatuated. It's sitting on my bedside table right now - and I'll probably revisit it sooner rather than later!

Thanks again, Lanna. I probably wouldn't have thought to buy it and then you just handed it to me in an amazon box! Thank you so much- it really is as fantastic as you said.
So yes, guys, read it. I suppose this was a poor review but I tend to say more than I'd like in them! :) xx

3 comments:

  1. Haha, you're welcome. It's definitely in my top 10 favourite books ever (maybe top 5 if I include the Harry Potter books as 1 instead of 7).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and you should totally read The Hunger Games too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hunger Games is sitting on my bedside table :) It's my next read, I've just finished the Virgin Suicides :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.