Tuesday, 28 July 2009

Let It Snow

Title: Let It Snow
Author(s):
John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle

Summary: A Christmas Eve snowstorm transforms one small town into a glittering, romantic holiday haven.

I really, really loved this book - I'm a total Autumn/Winter girl, I love storms and snow and reading a book set in Winter when it's an annoyingly hot summer put me back in that happy Winter mood and made me excited for that time of year to roll around again.

I love that all three stories were woven together, three seperate stories but set in the same place and the same characters pop up in each one - minor characters in one, may be main characters in another and it was awesome.

Anyway, onto the actual stories:

John Green's story A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle was really good... John Green is one of my top five favourite authors of all time and this story had all the charm of his other stories - really likeable characters and just the right balance of cute moments, funny stuff and nerdy-ness. Pretty much everyone has gone through or will go through what The Duke does in the story (The Duke is a girl, with a fun nickname) and I can't really explain that properly, but if you read it, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson... hmm, what to say about this one? I'll start off by saying that Maureen is awesome, really, I think she's absolutely hilarious, a complete legend. BUT! After reading one of her books a while ago, I was kind of put off reading anything else she writes because of it, but this story was amazing, it was actually my favourite of the three in the book and it totally restored my faith in her as an author instead of just a person and I fully intend to give her books another shot. That should explain how good it was. Just goes to show you shouldn't write off an author after having only read one of their books.

The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle was probably my least favourite story of the three, but it was still brilliant (it's a good sign that even my least favourite of the stories is still really awesome), they all were - none of them were bad... Lauren Myracle, like MJ and JG, is one of those authors that are really funny but it doesn't come across as trying too hard to be funny and the humour is at all the right places and she manages to mix seriousness and humour together really well so neither feels out of place. The main character really annoyed me half of the time, but at the same time I totally got where she was coming from - I just didn't like how she chose to handle it, but she does redeem herself and I couldn't hate her.

Basically, all three stories were awesome, it was a really good book - it's one of those ones that will put you in the mood for Christmas/Winter. :]

Later.

4 comments:

  1. I always wondered about this book. I'm a winter girl also and love reading about it!

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy you liked it, I've always heard great things about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have received my first 2 John Green books in the last month. I haven't had a chance to read either of them, but I really look forward to it! This looks like another good one. I love to read snowy books in the fall right when the weather starts getting crisp. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.