Saturday, 11 July 2009

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen.



Title: The Luxe.
Author: Anna Godbersen.
Number in the series: One.
Number in my 50 Book Challenge: Forty-two.
Summary: "A big, sumptuous tale of catty girls, dark secrets and windswept romance unfurls in this compulsively readable novel of late-19th-century New York City socialites. Godbersen weaves a tenuous web of deceit, backstabbing and pretense that follows four teens: Elizabeth Holland, a prim and proper lady of old-money society, is betrothed to one man, though furtively loves another; Henry Schoonmaker, a debauched playboy who must marry Elizabeth or be disinherited; Diana Holland, Elizabeth’s younger sister who is in love with her fiancĂ©; and Penelope Hayes, a member of the nouveau riche who will stop at nothing to win Henry’s affections. As Elizabeth and Henry’s wedding approaches, the spectacle unfolds in a wondrously grandiose scene, making for a fun, though not entirely unexpected dĂ©nouement."


Okay, I went for this book because I'd been told it's amazing, and it captured my interest. I've been told again and again that it's Gossip Girl in a different era, and it is.

The writing style is very well done, fitted to the time it's set in. That may be the reason it dragged for me, and the reason I may have embarrassingly skipped a few dozen pages.

The twists are entertaining, the characters are devilishly amazing, but it feels like there's much too much filler. It takes a paragraph to say what could be summarized in a sentence. Maybe that's just me: I didn't like it half way through because it was dragging. Generally, when my attention isnt swept up, it's very hard for me to continue reading.

Due to the fact that two other books have been released for this series (Rumors and Envy) I fear I'll be muddling through more of this. The plot itself is nice, it just...drags, as I've said. But since I read the first, I must read them all. Though I am not looking at all forward to Rumors, which I've pushed back to read already.

By the way, I went book shopping.
Expect reviews a plenty soonly for:
Boys R Us.
Something Wicked This Way Comes.
The Bell Jar.

And I'll be doing a special series-review of the Pretty Little Liars series. =]

Until next review,
Mari.

2 comments:

  1. I'd recommend keeping with the series it gets much better in book 2 and 3. I really enjoyed them, loved to hate some of the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely going to be a library book for me since I've heard things from both sides on it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.