Thursday, 16 July 2009

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.



Title: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Author: Ray Bradbury
Number in my challenge: 43.
Summary:
In a small anywhere town in any state in America, two young boys- quiet Will Halloway and somewhat rebellious Jim Nightshade-enjoy the ever-shortening days of autumn. When the boys hear about a strange traveling carnival from a lightning rod salesman, they decide to see what it is all about-but Will is fearful, as most carnivals end their tours after Labor Day. When the ominous Mr. Dark, the Illustrated Man, rides into town on a dark midnight, setting up his massive carnival in a matter of seconds, the boys are both thrilled and terrified. It seems to be just another carnival at first, but it is not before long that the forces of darkness themselves are manifesting from the haunting melodies of the carousel-which can change your age depending on which way you ride it-and the glaring Mirror Maze. With his collection of freaks and oddities, such as the Fat Man, Mr. Electro, and the blind Dust Witch, Dark intends to take control of the town and seize more innocent souls to damn. It will take all the wit and hope of the two boys to save their families and friends, with aid from an unlikely ally-Will's father, the town librarian, who understands more than anyone else that "something wicked this way comes."

'Bout time I finished this, eh?

It took me a while. -_-

The book has four main parts separating it and chapters within the parts.

It's an interesting tale, to say the least. The writing is fantastic, the descriptions really put an amazing image in my mind.

It dragged a bit, but that's because it's written sort of...differently than the modern things I read.

The characters are amazing, too. My favourite would have to be Will's father, the janitor for the library, Charles Halloway. (I may be getting the name wrong?)

And the main villain, Mr. Dark is just deviously entertaining. The book has a lot of things that can't be explained happening in it, mostly when the "freaks" of the carnival use their special talents.

It may be long and a bit hard to get through, but the result is totally worth it.

I definitely recommend.

Next I'll be reading An Abundance of Katherines for my second summer book, since it turns out I can't do The Bell Jar. I'll read Bell Jar after I finish these damn summer assignments.

And I also have Wicked which I plan to read. 500+ pages. :D And the Pretty Little Liars series, which I'll review all the so-far released books in one review.

-Mari.

(P.S. Does anyone know where I could get my hands on a copy of A String of Pearls (the story that Sweeney Todd is based on)? I can't find it anywhere!

3 comments:

  1. I love Bradbury, and it is kind of hard to get used to his writing, all metaphores. But once you understand them, it's a beautiful thing. I'm glad you liked this book, haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes. This one has been on my wish list for some time, as it's apparently essential reading for any horror fan. I haven't come across it yet, but I haven't given up hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A guy from work recommended this book to me a WHILE ago. He said it was quite the creepy read. Good review :)

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.