Thursday, 6 August 2009

North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

Right, so I'm in a book-review mode and I've been reading like crazy - and very late into the night as well. So, I decided to review a couple books I really enjoyed.

Title: North of Beautiful
Author: Justina Chen Headley
Summary: Terra's body is very nearly perfect, except for the port-wine birthmark on her left cheek, which several surgeries have failed to remove. It is the teen's final semester of high school and she looks forward to college where she can study art and escape from her bullying, verbally abusive father. Over the Christmas holidays, Terra and her mother get into a car accident and meet Jacob, a Goth Chinese boy with a cleft lip, and his adoptive mother. The women immediately strike up a supportive friendship, while Terra and Jacob grow close. When Terra's brother, who lives in Shanghai, sends her and her mother tickets to visit, and Jacob's mother wants to try to track down Jacob's birth mother, they decide to travel together. But what about Erik, Terra's enamored but slightly clueless boyfriend?

Honestly, I'm not going to rely on Amazon summaries anymore. This one definitely doesn't do the book justice.

Okay, I loved the book. What made it great was that I felt numerous emotions through the entire thing. With some books, I'm happy one moment, then I feel nothing at all through the rest of the book. With this book, I felt pity, sadness, anger, excitement, and a few others.

Terra's boyfriend, Erik, is one that made me shake my head in disgust. He isn't the attentive, charming boyfriend. He hardly notices her half the time, and when they're alone, all he wants to do is have sexy time with her. I mean, I would hardly call that a relationship. Plus, he makes remarks about her birthmark. At one point in the book, he asks her why she doesn't just fix her face. My mouth dropped when I read that. It was one of those times I wanted to jump in the book and yell "shut the hell up!"

Her dad is no better. In fact, he's worse. He's an exercise guru, he complains all the time about his wife's weight, and he verbally assaults both his wife and daughter when he can. He comes off as one of those guys who would probably think that women belong in the kitchen. If it weren't for the fact that he wants his daughter to go to college, I'd have believed so.

Terra loves to make collages, and her dad insults them. He says they can hardly be called 'art'. Plus, she applied for early admission to a college in Massachusetts, but her father refuses to pay for it. He will only pay for a college in the state. (They life in Washington.)

Her dad's bitter over some stupid map fiasco that made him look incredibly stupid. I'm not going to bother explaining; it's not THAT big of an issue for the story.

Onto Jacob. He's the type of guy who is always honest, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. Plus, he's got a great sense of humour. I see why Terra would want to be with Jacob. Erik's just a stud who thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.

...I re-read that last line and actually laughed at my childish wording. :)

This feels more like a blog post than a book review, to be honest. But I had alot to say.

*Spoiler Alert. Highlight the following space for the spoiler. It's not a big spoiler, but it's something that made me hate Erik even more* On Christmas, Erik showed up at Terra's door and gave her a gift. He said to open it somewhere else and when he said that, he gave her a leering smile. Once in her room, she unwrapped the package, only to be greeted with a fuchsia slinky, thin, nightie. He had given her lingerie, and no doubt there was a suggestion in his present of the next time they were alone.

Well, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the book. I loved it.

Later xx

7 comments:

  1. Well you've got me, I'm going to add this book to my list! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book!

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you said don't pay attention to the summary, cause it didn't catch me at all!
    Sounds like a good book. And who said Book Reviews have to be short?
    If I've got a lot to say, I'll say it.
    Be honest! :o)

    xo,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think ill read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved this book and I think people should give it a try it's nice. I love your book review because you said all you needed to and nothing less. This was an awesome book, read it if u haven't.
    o and bout erik: he's a guy who think he got swag when he got nothing. he got notin on jake. hes a hormonal douche who can't seem to find anything better to do w/ his life. and yes the spoiler disgusted me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading this book for my school unit called the survival unit and so far I absolutely love this book! It makes it like your in the story. Emotions flying everywhere inside you and out! You catch yourself screaming at the characters (*cough cough Erik and dad *cough)Give it a chance and read it!

    PS: GO SAGE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF BOISE THEY LET YOU PICK WHAT YOU READ!!!
    PPS:GO TO THE LIBRARY NOW AND GET IT AS A MATTER OF FACT GO TO THE BOOKSTORE AND BUY IT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING STILL READING?!?!? GET OUT THERE!
    PPPS: GO ALREADY!!!!!!!!! ^_^ :D
    PPPPS: I LIKE YOUR FACE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW. I JUSTTTTT READ THIS BOOK AND ITS CONFUSING BUT RLLY GOOD.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.