Thursday, 27 August 2009

Scribbler of Dreams by Mary E. Pearson



Title:
Scribbler of Dreams
Author:
Mary E. Pearson
Summary: Like the rest of her family, 17-year-old Kait Malone blames the Crutchfields for everything, particularly now that her father's in jail for killing Robert Crutchfield in what the Malones claim was an accident. Money is short, because the Malones refuse to sell any of their land, so Kait and her sister must transfer to the public high school under assumed names. And then the unthinkable happens: Kait falls head over heels in love with a beautiful boy named Bram--who turns out to be a Crutchfield. As their romance deepens, Kait's lies about her identity grow ever more complicated. She clings to her conviction that the Crutchfields are monsters--except for Bram--although this belief grows harder and harder to sustain as she meets his family.

I'm not really sure what to say about this book, it's not going to be a bad review but it's not particularly a good one either.

It wasn't awful, I just found it kind of a drag to get through... I didn't like the main character that much, there was actually only a few characters out of the whole book that I did like.

It was really, really dull and annoying being inside her head, her thoughts revolved almost entirely in some way around the ridiculous feud with the Crutchfields and I guess it really bothered me that her character was the kind of person to listen to other peoples judgements instead of making up her own mind about people (at least until later in the book, where she's forced to realise that things aren't always as black and white as they seem) and for a long time she was so judgemental of an entire family she didn't even know -- just add the last name Crutchfield and she'd instantly hate you.

It especially bothered me that her family was actually the least justified one in the whole feud, really, I think the Crutchfields have more reason to hate the Malones than the other way round (and even then, I think it's silly) and also, the way she was okay with the fact that the thing she was raised to believe had started the feud was really, really stupid -- back in the days when the feud started, sure, the reaction from people would be undestrandable but Kaitlin wasn't raised over a hundred years ago so it made me want to hit her any time she would mention the reason the feud started because she was so unbelievably judgemental about something that nowadays, she really shouldn't have been.

Now, she wasn't the only character in the book guilty of that and she did get it right eventually but it was still incredibly annoying to read about and she was really quite a dull character which disappointed me a little because she likes to write and usually that would interest me because I do too... we see little excerpts of what she writes, but I was even bored by that.

I like the character of Bram, but even he was quite dull at times and for a romance story, it seemed to miss out on the very best part of falling in love -- the falling part. It was all too fast, usually I could deal with that but there wasn't enough of them together and when they were together, the romantic moments were just always that really, romance... they weren't fun, the romance stuff is good in moderation but there wasn't really any of that fun young/new love side to their relationship or at least not that I picked up on.

I admit, the reason I picked this book up was because of the Romeo and Juliet comparison but aside from the feuding families, there wasn't really any of the things thrown in that make me adore Romeo and Juliet (suicide not included) type stories.

I know I said this wasn't a bad review and so far all I've done is list what I didn't like about it but that's because it's harder to explain the things I didn't hate about it, but I'll try.

When I don't like the main character it has a huge impact on how I will view the story, but even though I don't like Kaitlin, she was kind of realistic -- she made mistakes and she learned from them and although I don't particularly like her, I did like how realistic her character was. And the story did have it's sweet moments.

One of the other reviewers, Leah, has told me she has read this book and that she loved it so don't let what I've said about the book put you off reading it, you may agree with me or you may end up loving it. :]

I think you can read the first chapter of it on Amazon, you should check it out and see if it draws you in.

Later.

11 comments:

  1. I liked this one, but if it had been longer I could tell it would have gotten boring

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to review a book that you didn't particularly enjoy. You were fair about it, though. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book!!! i am reading it in school for a project and i think it is a "cant put it down" book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved these books as a kid! I still have all of the books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i read this book like in 43 minutes and i wish there would be more to the story. it's the best story i had ever written and it made me cry which is odd because i'm not sensitive! i wish and loved if there was a series!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To me Bram seems like a hot guy. I wish I'd meet him. Wish there was a movie based on this book. =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book and i wish that there was a series, there are too many questions that i still have and the ending was not the my favorite part of the book even though i am a fan of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was the best book ever. I love everything about it. I am a teen and i loved the story of them meeting and Bram drawing pictures of her, i wish there was another book talking about how they fall in love again after the big fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes that would make it a good serious

      Delete
  9. This book was a little bit weird but i think the famileies had no real reason to hate each other like that if you know what i mean....now i can understand the crutch fields haten the malones but the malones haten the crutchfield i couldnt understand taht one so well

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found it gross to think that they were actually cousins and they were in love. I couldn't get pass that weird part of the book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.