Tuesday, 18 August 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger


A most untraditional love story, this is the celeberated tale of Henry
DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who involuntarily travels through
time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course.
Henry and Clare's passionate affair endures across a sea of time and captures
them in an impossibly romantic trap that tests the strength of fate and basks in
the bonds of love.
-via back of the book

I love Rachel McAdams. And, I'm not gonna lie, the guy that plays Henry is pretty damned gorgeous. Knowing I wanted to see the movie but also having a rule that says if I know there's a book before watching the movie, I must read the book first. So a few weeks ago, I did.

Oh. My. God.

This story is unlike anything I've ever read, thought I'd write, even contemplated as a story. It's written in a journal-like format, going back and forth between Clare and Henry. I dislike journal formatting but I completely changed my mind reading this book. It was just SO amazing and I read it in two sittings.

And it's long, as in 536 pages long. Impressive, right? But it doesn't SEEM like 536 pages because of the formatting. I never, ever, ever wanted this story to end and would LOVE a sequel but don't see any reason why there would be one. It'd just be bleh, you know?

But I must be fair and warned you; I cried. A lot. Hysterically. Several times. I read the last
pages through tears and it was so touching and GUH.

I cannot recommend this book enough. It's tied for my favorite with Pride and Prejudice and surpasses every Jodi Picoult book I've read (why am I doing Young Adult Fiction Reviews...even if this isn't YA? Hmm).

This will probably be my last review for a while because I've got a bunch of classics lined up, partially for school and partially for myself and I'm sure nobody really wants to read reviews about classics right now. But I do need to take a moment to SQUEE. If any of you love Meg Cabot, she said today on her twitter that she's working on the FOURTH book in the size 12 Is Not Fat/Heather Wells series. Just so you know.

-Julie

P.S. I don't know what's up with the weird formatting of cramming all the paragraphs together. I can't fix it either.

8 comments:

  1. I couldn't finish this, I read most of it, but what happens to Henry is just too much for me to handle. I did go see the movie though, their love, which is so huge couldn't fit on screen and I was a little dissapointed with it, but they can only put so much into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to see the movie yesterday; it was amazing and I sobbed all the way through. I think I may read the book, thanks for the great review on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this book! I'll have to get it. It definitely sounds like something I would love. Who doesn't love a good cry once in a a while from a book, right? :P

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! And the movie was better than I expected. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The movie doesn't look all that appealing to me, but the book might be worth a shot if this review has anything to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the movie, had some reservations. Wonder if the book is better and can't decide if I should read it. Isn't the plot too farfetched and unreal for you to really take it seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The novel is crafted on a very literary level, with eloquent sentences and descriptions that merit this being a contemporary classic. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who has a soft spot for good love stories. It definitely transcends genres.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The author is so good at describing a scene that there were several times where I felt like I was actually there with Henry and Clare; witnessing their story instead of reading it. This is such a great book that I will be recommending it to several people who I know will love it as much as I do.

    Mariz
    Get Best Info for Maid Service San Antonio Company

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.