Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

SPOILER WARNING: I probably won't put any spoilers for Catching Fire in the review, but if you haven't read the first book, The Hunger Games, then I suggest not reading beyond this point, even the summary spoils the hell out of the first book.

(That is the UK cover, just so you know)

Title: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Summary: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

Okay, so I absolutely adored The Hunger Games and I was a little worried that Catching Fire wouldn't be able to live up to the expectations that the first book set, but honestly, it did and so much more - it was fantastic.

I love the characters in this book so much that it's not even funny; Peeta, Gale, Katniss, Cinna and the new characters; Finnick, Mags and Wiress are my favourites - they're just all so awesome, and there was a certain part of the book involving Cinna that would've had me bawling my eyes out had I not been in a room full of people while reading it (if you've read it, or when you read it, you'll know the bit I mean).

The thing I love most about this book is that it kept surprising me by making me change my mind about something - after the first book, I was very firmly *Team Peeta* but there was a certain part of this book that just made me adore Gale too and throughout the book I kept switching back and forth between the two, trying to figure out who I loved more and who I want her with and I'm still torn, there's only one other book series that has had me this torn and that is Vampire Academy (in which I'm torn between Adrien and Dimitri).

I can't wait to read the next book and I'm terrified to read it too, because there is one thing I want to definitely happen and it'll be devestating if it doesn't (again, if you've read CF or when you read it, you'll know what I mean by this - Peeta related).

I'll wrap this review up now, I loved the book - if I was to give it marks out of 10, I'd want to give it 20.

Oh, one more thing (which is probably totally old news now, but just incase you don't know), apparently The Hunger Games is being made into a movie and Suzanne is writing/helping write (not sure which) the screenplay for it... awesome isn't it? :]

Later.

P.s. Once again, sorry for the lack of reviews recently - I haven't been reading much (reading funk + new puppies = *facepalm*) and I think some of the other reviewers have just been really busy too... once I start reading more often again, I will be reviewing more.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book!! It made me so happy that it was as good as I was hoping it would be! I was very afraid it wouldnt be amazing, but it totally was!! I agree about the Peeta thing for the next book -- eekk!!! Awesome review! :)

    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.