Monday, 14 September 2009

In My Mailbox (2)

In My Mailbox was started by The Story Siren.

Sorry, I think we missed a day or so. I've been so busy; I haven't been reading much at all! :(

But, I did get a book I meant to post about, so I'll do that now:


Title: Sweeney Todd, or, The String of Pearls
Author: Anonymous.

Summary: A distraught Johanna Oakley wanders the streets of London seeking news of her missing fiance, Mark Ingestrie. She is befriended by Colonel Jeffrey, who is searching for his lost friend Thornhill, last seen in Sweeney Todd’s Fleet Street barber-shop. Todd’s apprentice, Tobias Ragg, is struggling to break free from his terrifying and sadistic master, while the barber himself is frantically trying to sell a string of pearls. Meanwhile, just around the corner in Bell Yard, the enigmatic Jarvis Williams has landed himself a fine job — making the most delicious pies in London, to Mrs Lovett’s secret recipe…

Omgoshsquealllll.

I have been waiting for this book for ages. I had to buy it off of Amazon because it went out of print here in the U.S. in like 2005. Either that or the libraries and bookstores here just decided not to carry it. :( BUT it was way cheap on Amazon anyway.
Anyway, this is the original story that inspired the production of Sweeney Todd in play form. I'm only a bit into it (I've put off reading City of Bones for this. =P) and it's already so different from the play and the movie.

No one really knows who wrote it, some say Thomas Prest, but that remains unproven. In fact, this book was penned by more than perhaps ten authors, with distinct changes between styles. So far it's a good read, written in old english and the narrator almost speaks to the reader, which makes me feel involved in the story. (:

I love anything to do with Sweeney Todd (actually I'd say I have a mildly unhealthy obsession with it) so I'm sure I'll love this. Once I finish, I'll review it here and continue with City of Bones.

-Mari.

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm new around here and I was wondering how to get people to read your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blog. love the layout. i'm following you now. you should pop over/follow mine. i have all things books. also have a free book give-a-way and interview going now.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy the book :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.