Tuesday, 29 December 2009

The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce

I've now read this book twice, the second time because I could barely remember what happened before reading the sequel. I'm not gonna review the sequel, to avoid spoilers.


The Darkangel
Meredith Ann Pierce

The Darkangel, a vampire of astounding beauty and youth, can only summon his full power when he finds his 14th and final bride. But for Aeriel, whom he kidnaps to serve his brides, there is something about him--something beyond his obvious evil--that makes her want to save him rather than destroy him.

This book starts off with Aeriel and her 'mistress'/best friend, Eoduin climbing a mountain to pick special flowers. These flowers are to be used in the wedding occurring in the town later in the day, the nectar in the flowers for the bridal cup. Then the vampyre, or dark angel, appears. He swoops down and takes Eoduin, before flying away.

A few days later, Aeriel goes back up the mountain to get revenge. But what happens instead? The dark angel takes her too, except to be a servant.

We learn that the dark angel has thirteen wives, one for every year he's been a dark angel. In another year, he will take another wife and become a full icari. Then he and his other six "brothers" will take over the world. Until then, Aeriel is supposed to stay and care for his soulless wives. Once beauties, now they are horrors, nearly skeletons that will never die.

This book was odd. It wasn't historical fiction, though some things had a parallel to our history. It was definitely a fantasy book, with lots of different magical elements.

Some things I had a hard time picturing. It mostly came up in the sequel, but some people had different color skins. I'm not talking white/black/tan either. That was just random for me.

I started this series for the romance. I won't lie, my JulNoWriMo novel was very similar to this story line. But so far it just seems so much more about the action. That's not me. Action and me = bad, with a few exceptions (Mortal Instruments series anyone?)

I wouldn't stay with this series because it's not giving me the romance I want, but there's only one book left in the series and, let's be honest, the romance *has* to come out in this book right?

I wish I could tell you guys more, but I don't want to spoil because I know I don't like spoilers.

I've got Keeping the Moon and That Summer waiting to be read in my room and I should be buying Magic Under Glass and Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side tomorrow. I'll definitely be reviewing all of those. Probably Keeping the Moon tomorrow *fingers crossed*, Magic Under Glass on Saturday for Historic Saturday and then something else as soon as I can.

And for anyone unaware, we are on twitter. I play on there *ahem* often, so if you wanna chat feel free to!

Julie


3 comments:

  1. Nooooo!!! The Romance I thought was in this book is also the exact reason why I added this book to my wishlist. And now I hear that there is no romance. I might have to put this one to the side for a while. Awesome review though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is some romance in the first book, but there's pretty much none in the second book. I have high hopes for the third book though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm I'm both intrigued and nervous to pick this off my TBR pile now haha I'll shelf it for a bit and get to it eventually...great, honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.