Thursday, 31 December 2009

Waiting on Wednesday (4)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme started by Breaking the Spine.

Go me! It's on time(ish) and everything! I didn't get around to finishing Keeping the Moon and probably won't for a while because I bought Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side and Paper Towns today, both of which I'm more excited to read. So, you'll have reviews for those instead.

Jekel Loves Hyde
Beth Fantaskey
[Releases 5/3/10]


Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents’ rules – especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father’s office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.

To better her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen’s sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill’s accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything – even Tristen’s love – just for the thrill of being… bad.

Yes, this is the same author that wrote Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side. I actually found Jekel Loves Hyde first then saw she wrote the other book, recognized it from seeing it in stores all the time, actually read the summary, and fell in love. I even reserved the paperback so it'd be there when I got to the mall today. But anyway.

I've been trying to back away from historical fiction more. I've had my fill of it and while I'm always looking for more, I can't really review much historical fiction can I? It's pretty hard to do when not many people in the YA world are also into Historical Fiction because I don't want to bore you.

Honestly, this book just sounds cool. And the cover? Come on now, that's pretty in it's simplicity. I've always tried to avoid the habit, but I'm starting to fall into the 'Ooh pretty cover! I want!' trap. But, it's kind of fun. I actually have two books (kind of) in the mail like that.

I'd also like to point out that I have yet to see a bad Tristen, no matter what way it's spelled.

I have not read the original Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, to be quite honest. I only have a vague idea of what the book's even about! But I've found in the past current books make me want to read the original classics their based on, heavily themed on, or mentioned (does this make any sense?). I found my favorite novel that way. Maybe this book will bring me the same luck?

I do worry that this book will become predictable, but based on what I've read of Beth's other book so far, I don't think that'll be the case. And even if it is, I still think I'll enjoy it.

Now my only problem is finding the patience to wait until May.

So, what are you waiting on this Wednesday?

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read the original either, but this book sounds great!

    Awesome pick :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.