Monday, 4 January 2010

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

*There MAY be some minor spoilers for this book in this review. There's nothing truly serious, but if you're worried (because I know I'm all "GAH! Spoiler! DIE!") please just skip to the bottom part of the post. The general gist is that you should read it.*

The Dark Divine
Bree Despain

Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared--the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in his own blood--but she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night held. The memories her family has tried to bury resurface when Daniel returns, three years later, and enrolls in Grace and Jude's high school. Despite promising Jude she'll stay away, Grace cannot deny her attraction to Daniel's shocking artistic abilities, his way of getting her to look at the world from new angles, and the strange, hungry glint in his eyes.

The closer G
race gets to Daniel, the more she jeopardizes her life, as her actions stir resentment in Jude and drive him to embrace the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind the boy's dark secret...and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it--her soul.


Where do I begin with this book?

I'll start with the cover, because that's what drew me in. I saw the cover and went "Oh pretty!" (petty, petty me) Without really looking at the summary, I ordered it.

I knew from seeing it all over the twitter and blogging world what kind of mystical creature was in it. For me it kind of made things predictable and before I read the book, I kind of regretted ordering it. I'm not a werewolf kind of girl. But when it arrived, I hurried through Jessica's Guide, decided to skip Paper Towns, Keeping the Moon, and That Summer and head straight into it.

I'm glad I did.

The story was far from predictable. As I've said in the past, I'm usually good at picking up where a story will go and how it will end within the first 100 pages or so. But this book? I was thrown for a complete spin on things. Things were constantly throwing me off. I could never guess what would happen next until, at the earliest, a chapter or so before. And usually, those would be the short chapters.

So, there's like a gabizillion points right here, right?

Then there's the romance. Yes there's kind of a love triangle thing, but it's not actually a love triangle and there's no way you'd pick one over the other. You just kinda know all along that something's wrong with one guy.

And the ending? I was so utterly touched by the ending. It's one of the most romantic things I've seen, way better than Romeo and Juliet. I really felt for Grace through the ending. I applaud Grace for writing the ending as she did because I don't think I ever could pull off something like that.

My only issue was Grace's indecisiveness with certain issues. I totally understand considering this book was a lot about discovery and loyalty and discovering who she really was and all her family secrets, or as many as possible, but sometimes I just kind of wanted to shake her and scream "MAKE UP YOUR MIND, WOMAN!" Though, to be honest I have done it to people before. It doesn't make a difference.

And one more thing to throw in: Yes this story does kind of play off religion. Through out the story there are religious references and mentions of the bible but no you don't need to be religious or know the stories to follow the book, everything is explained. I just happen to be Catholic myself and went through 8 years of religion classes and am forced to go to church every Sunday. So it's familiar to me.

For others that really do recognize the particular bible passage highlighted in the story and have read it, I have a question: After digesting the book as a whole, did most of the book seem like a play off that bible passage or is it just me? Some food for thought there for those that want to think about it.

But overall, this is a wonderful story and a perfectly crafted book. I can't WAIT for the sequel!


In other, smaller news:
1] We are on twitter!
2] At 200 followers on this blog there will be a contest, just like the last one. So please pass us around and if you have suggestions for possible prizes, that'd be appreciated too.
3]I got a shipment containing most of my Christmas books. There are only six still floating around out there, 1 that'll be here tomorrow and 4 others that'll be here soon. But I've got no clue which to read!
I've narrowed it down to three choices, but I want you guys to help. As I will be reviewing each and every book (except for one because it's the last book in The Darkangel series and everything would be super spoiler-y, and possibly one other series that'll be arriving because it might end up being super mature), I'm letting you guys choose which book I read next.

Here's how it's gonna work. I'm going to list all of the books I have to read. I have three favorites in mind, but it's really up to you. I won't be including two of the books because one is the beginning of the series (I don't have the rest of the books) and the other is the last book in The Darkangel series and I can't review it. Whichever gets picked the most is the book I'll read. I'll be doing this at the end of each review post until I'm through all my books. As I have 17 of them and I'll be reviewng 14 of them and I still have some money at Borders, this should last us a while.
Current list:
Paper Towns by John Green
Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
That Summer by Sarah Dessen
Fallen by Lauren Kate
Searching for Pemberley by Mary Simonsen
Dreaming Anastasia by Joy Preble
The King's Rose by Alisa Libby
The Pale Assassin by Patricia Elliott

Please don't make me choose on my own!

--Julie

3 comments:

  1. Great review :) When I met Bree, she said she wanted TDD to read like a story of Grace...not the person...but rather a story about what Grace truly is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't read your review since I don't want any minor spoilers. I'm anxiously waiting for my copy to arrive.
    And out of that list I'd suggest Fallen, I'm reading it now and I'm curious to know what you'll think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also waiting to read this book. It's not even at my Library yet :( I guess I'll be waiting a long time

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.