Sunday, 24 January 2010

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz

I've been reading like crazy lately... but I haven't been posting. Nice going, self. Anyways, here's my review.



Title: Deadly Little Secret
Author: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Summary (from Amazon): Some secrets shouldn't be kept...
Up until three months ago, everything in sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at the art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes anything but ordinary.
Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe the rumors, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. She's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help--but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something... but he's not the only one with a secret.

I actually liked this book. It had been on my "to read" mental list for a while now ever since I saw it at a book store. So, when you first start reading Camelia talks about an almost-accident she had three months ago where she was almost hit by a car. A mysterious boy pushed her out of the way and he accidentally touched her bare stomach, freaked, and ran away.

So, I was like, "Um... what just happened?" Because that was kind of weird: a boy touches you and the runs away. But Camelia sort of forgets about the boy until he becomes a new kid at her school. She confronts him about it but he denies everything. She eventually learns that his name is Ben Carter.


...Oh and did I mention that he's a suspected murderer?

This makes him basically a social outcast at school. But then weird things start happening to Camelia - weird notes, photos, and other really creepy things. Naturally, her best friend Kimmie tells her that she suspects Ben. But, deep in Camelia's gut, she doesn't suspect Ben at all. Ben actually wants to help her with everything.

He's got a secret... but I won't tell you what it is, naturally. 

Oh, and you'll never guess who the creep is who's basically stalking her. Never. I'd bet a million dollars on it that you won't. I sure didn't. 

Rating: 5/5 stars

Would I recommend it: HELL YES!

I need the second book. Like now.

-Deanna 

6 comments:

  1. wow! I love the review, I must read it! I must find out who the stalker is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I need this book... Like now. Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I just bought this one a couple days, and I loved it!! Laurie Stolarz definitely kept me guessing the whole time, though I was a bit disappointed by the ending. But that's why we have sequels, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I wasn't the biggest fan of this book, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I was torn between two of the characters when I was trying to guess at the stalker, but you're right, it wasn't something you could see coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh sounds totally fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.