Sunday, 31 January 2010

In My Mailbox (6)

In My Mailbox is a meme started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea at Pop Culture Junkie.

When it comes to buying books, I kind of fail at self restraint - no joke, I've been trying not to buy new books because I have a monstrous to read pile already (I'm talking 100+), but I saw one book I really wanted and promising myself I'd only get that one... of course I bought four. See, I fail.

Havana Nights (Dirty Dancing) by Amanda Bader
[Note: I could only find really small/unclear versions of the cover so this is the movie cover, but aside from having some movie nonsense instead of an authors name, the book & movie covers are the same]
Summary: When the Millers moved from St. Louis to Cuba, eighteen-year-old Katey left her friends, her school, and her life behind. In Havana, Katey looked wrong. She dressed wrong. She even danced wrong. More than anything, she wanted to return home.

Then Katey met Javier, a young waiter at the Oceana Hotel. She was instantly drawn to his intense brown eyes--and his smouldering moves on the dance floor. When Katey danced with Javier, she felt a connection with him, the kind of connection she had never had with a boy before.

Being with Javier wasn't familiar or easy, but learning about his life and dreams was something Katey needed to do. And as Javier showed her his Cuba, Katey discovered something surprising: a chance to fit in, a chance at love... and the chance to have the time of her life.

I adore the movie Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights (click for trailer), it's more of a prequel to DD, Patrick Swayze has a cameo in it and really, what I adore most about it is the fact it's based on a true story... Dirty Dancing is epic, but it's not based on truth, the sequel-but-prequel is, it's based on the childhood of the co-producer and choreographer of the movie. So, of course, I found out there was a book for the movie and had to have it. And I'll shut up now about that. Moving on...

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

Summary: When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyperobservant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone.

How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?


A youtuber/blogger that I've been following (in the non-stalker sense, of course) for a few years has been consistently recommending the hell out of this series and I figured it's about time I listened, she seems to have decent taste in bookcrack (new word? No?).


You Had Me At Halo by Amanda Ashby

Summary: Holly Evans has just seen her own body laid to rest. Now she would like to move onto the afterlife. But apparently she has some mortal baggage to unload first, starting with the matter of how she died. Her heavenly shrink isn't buying that she didn't kill herself- and says she must return to earth to straighten things out. The thing is, she needs to borrow the body of computer geek Vince Murphy to do it. Oh, and although Vince was supposed to have vacated the premises, he apparently never got the memo.

Now, Holly has forty-eight hours to resolve her issues while sharing arms, legs, and...other things...with a guy she barely noticed while she was alive. But the real surprise is what life has to offer when you have only two days to live it.

Ohai there, pretty book! Allow me to judge you by your cover! - Yeah, the cover drew me in then I read the summary and it reminded me of this story I started years ago but never finished and I figure this author probably executes the idea a lot better than I ever did or could.

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Summary: Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard--falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High... until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around. Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge.

If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully. Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be
more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first.


I've heard a lot of good things about this book and the author... so yeah.

Later.

6 comments:

  1. I loved the movie Dirty Dancing 2. Fantastic! Great picks. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some girls are is AMAZING. I mean, mind-blowing. You're going to love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I didn't know Havana Nights was based off a true story! I gotta go check this out now :D

    SLOPPY FIRSTS!!!! I love that book and I hope you will too. If you don't fall in love with Marcus Flutie, I will have to slap you. xD Oooh, You Had Me At Halo was cute too. The cute cover is just a plus! Awesome books girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know what you mean about the failing at self restraint thing when it comes to buying books - I have the same problem!
    I also love Dirty Dancing 2, though it's nowhere near as great as the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pick!!!! and wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.