Friday, 1 January 2010

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

While I wait for The Tudors to finish loading, why not write a review? It's a great way to bring in the new year, right?


Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side
Beth Fantaskey

The undead can really screw up your senior year . . .

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancĂ©. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction.

Erm...wow?

I stayed up until 3 am reading this. Does this mean anything to you guys?

From the very beginning, I was pulled into the story. I knew overall how it would end because I know about some extra chapters the author wrote and posted on her website. Knowing what they're about makes it easy to figure out the ending.

Jessica is a strong character who knows what she wants. She's brave and she's far from a doormat. Yes at first she's confused, but wouldn't you be confused too if you were suddenly told you're a vampire princess betrothed to a vampire prince? Perfectly rational response. But once she gets over it? She's one of the strongest characters I've ever seen. (I mean...would you slap a vampire? Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but I wouldn't.)

Lucius had me from the beginning. He was just so...amazing and dreamy. Call me a romantic, old fashioned girl, but the whole dark and mysterious thing appeals to me. I don't do the traditional. And he's into literature. We obviously have something in common there.

The story wasn't predictable either. There wasn't that whole "I-hate-you-now-I-love-you-ZOMG-misunderstanding-I-hate-you-Oh-that's-why-Sorry-I-love-you-MWAH" story line I see so often. There was twists and turns. At the very end of the story it became a bit predictable; even though it was never really said I knew what was going to happen. But really, there was only so much that could be done from there on out and it made me respect Jessica a thousand times more than I already did.

My only real complaint about this book was the pacing at the end. In the last twenty or thirty pages so much happens and I really would've loved to see it fleshed out more. Seriously, I wouldn't protest a longer book. I'm the kind of person that grabs a book off a shelf because it's long (i.e. Twilight back when I just began seriously reading).

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the extra twenty three chapters she wrote on her website (!!!) and reading Jekel Loves Hyde.

--Julie

P.S.: When we hit 200 followers we'll be having a contest. It'll be like the last one where there will be a group of books selected by us and then you guys get to pick which one you read. We're really going to do a variety, but if anyone has suggestions for indecisive ol' me to give to Lanna (we're making the list together), they'd be appreciated! And make sure to pass us on!

5 comments:

  1. I've never even heard of this, but it sounds amazing! I really need to buy this. Preferably today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this :) It was one of my 2009 50 Book Challenge thing (that I eventually extended to 100)

    I loved it too! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this one too! Definitely agree that it could have been fleshed out a little more at the end though. I was actually crossing my fingers for a sequel, but oh well. Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a bit hesitant to read this (one word: title), but your review definitely convinced me! Now I just need to get off my butt and go buy it xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read this one. I've heard this was a great book...and if you stayed up until 3 am reading it...I think I need to get it!!!

    Glad you enjoyed it!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.