Monday, 15 February 2010

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

*This review contains some minor spoilers. Don't want them, don't read the review! Just know that this book is awesome and I think you all should read it.*

Beautiful Creatures
Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.

At least, that's what I thought.

Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.

There was a curse.

There was a girl.

And in the end, there was a grave.


Lena Ducha
nnes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has be
en counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


How do I describe my love for this book? Let's start with what I did upon finishing it.

I read through the acknowledgments, turned to the back cover page (which is just a purple page) and fixed the slightly bent corner, closed the book, and hugged the book. I spent several minutes hugging and stroking the book, since I'd already moved the slip to avoid damage while reading. I thought about how to describe the amazingness of this book. I figured out if it made my top 10 favorite books (it does, hovering around spot 7). I hugged it some more.

Words cannot describe how much I simply adored this book.

Now for some irony:

Upon hearing about this book, it had no appeal for me. I don't really trust books about straight magic, because what can top Harry Potter? But I'd heard such good things about it and it's big book and it's got a pretty cover, so why not try it? I had the same feeling with The Dark Divine and that turned out well.

Originally, this was one of the Christmas books I ordered. But all of my other books were here and Barnes and Noble was telling me it wouldn't be here until February, which made me go "Erm...I ordered this in December, not worth it." So, I canceled my order and ordered Sovay. When I got more money, I ordered it again because it fit. Fortunately, there weren't any issues this time and it was in my hands a few days later.

But really, this book, even though you kind of know what's going to happen, it's still not predictable and makes you think and I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry.

Gatlin is everything I would think of when I think small Southern town. Lena is what I think of when I think of an outcast in that kind of town, but she also reminds me quite a bit of me. Ethan isn't a typical teenage guy and his more mature, less perverted thought process proves that.

I also loved the historical bits. Insanely fascinating and touching.

It does take some time to read, but that could be because I missed two days of school last week and lost a lot of reading time making up assignments and doing homework. The pace of the novel is also pretty slow, but at the same time it entices you. The way it moves, just as you're ready to put it down, something happens or a question is asked that makes you ache to read more.

I think everyone should read this book. But if you don't, you're seriously missing out!

And there's currently a contest for Lena's Birthday. Click here to celebrate.
--Julie

6 comments:

  1. This book sounds so good, and it's nice to hear you enjoyed it because I was thinking about buying it. Great review and I laughed when hearing about how you hugged the book. Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm going to skip reading the review since i'm planning on reading it next. but, thanks for the spoiler warning and i hope i enjoy it as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently reading this book now. I'm still halfway thru but I think it's a great read!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't read the review since I don't want the spoilers, but I SO can't wait to read this book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book but I can´t force myself to read it. Don´t know why but the last few months I have begin to read several new published books but couldn´t read them till the end. I will give this a try tomorrow. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My exact response to finishing the book too!

    I loved it. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.