Sunday, 14 February 2010

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox is a meme started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea at Pop Culture Junkie.

I wasn't actually planning on buying anymore books anytime soon, I told myself I wouldn't because my TBR pile could rival the height of a mountain (okay, slight exaggeration, BUT! It is over 100 books now). And well, me being me, I caved and ended up buying some. You know you're a book junkie when...

Anyway, I bought:

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Summary: Finnikin was only a child during the five days of the unspeakable, when the royal family of Lumatere were brutally murdered, and an imposter seized the throne. Now a curse binds all who remain inside Lumatere’s walls, and those who escaped roam the surrounding lands as exiles, persecuted and despairing, dying by the thousands in fever camps.

In a narrative crackling with the tension of an imminent storm, Finnikin, now on the cusp of manhood, is compelled to join forces with an arrogant and enigmatic young novice named Evanjalin, who claims that her dark dreams will lead the exiles to a surviving royal child and a way to pierce the cursed barrier and regain the land of Lumatere. But Evanjalin’s unpredictable behavior suggests that she is not what she seems — and the startling truth will test Finnikin’s faith not only in her, but in all he knows to be true about himself and his destiny.


I absolutely love Melina Marchetta, she is one of my all time favourite authors, I so wish I had her way with words. So yeah, I'm looking forward to reading this one, it's something different to her usual stuff.

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories by Tim Burton

Summary: From breathtaking stop-action animation to bittersweet modern fairy tales, filmmaker Tim Burton has become known for his unique visual brilliance -- witty and macabre at once.

Now he gives birth to a cast of gruesomely sympathetic children -- misunderstood outcasts who struggle to find love and belonging in their cruel, cruel worlds. His lovingly lurid illustrations evoke both the sweetness and the tragedy of these dark yet simple beings -- hopeful, hapless heroes who appeal to the ugly outsider in all of us, and let us laugh at a world we have long left behind (mostly anyway).


I *emoheart* Tim Burton, his style is just - I want his imagination, seriously... gimme his imagination and Melina Marchetta's ability to write pure awesomeness and I could take over the world! - only not.


Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Summary (I cannot find a summary that summarises the actual plot - well, at least not one that doesn't spoil the whole book): Margaret Mitchell's epic novel of love and war won the Pulitzer Prize and went on to give rise to two authorized sequels and one of the most popular and celebrated movies of all time. Many novels have been written about the Civil War and its aftermath. None take us into the burning fields and cities of the American South as Gone With the Wind does, creating haunting scenes and thrilling portraits of characters so vivid that we remember their words and feel their fear and hunger for the rest of our lives. In the two main characters, the white-shouldered, irresistible Scarlett and the flashy, contemptuous Rhett, Margaret Mitchell not only conveyed a timeless story of survival under the harshest of circumstances, she also created two of the most famous lovers in the English-speaking world since Romeo and Juliet.

Classics ftw, y0! I've actually read--and loved--about a third of this book already... including the end, I figured it's about time I read it all. Rhett is awesome, he just is - I also bought the 1939 movie of GWTW too.

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Summary: Frankie Landau-Banks at age 14: Debate Club. Her father's " bunny rabbit. " A mildly geeky girl attending a highly competitive boarding school.

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 15: A knockout figure. A sharp tongue. A chip on her shoulder. And a gorgeous new senior boyfriend: the supremely goofy, word-obsessed Matthew Livingston. Frankie Landau-Banks. No longer the kind of girl to take " no" for an answer. Especially when " no" means she's excluded from her boyfriend's all-male secret society. Not when her ex-boyfriend shows up in the strangest of places. Not when she knows she's smarter than any of them. When she knows Matthew's lying to her. And when there are so many, many pranks to be done.

Frankie Landau-Banks, at age 16: Possibly a criminal mastermind. This is the story of how she got that way.


I've heard a whole lot of good things about this one, I've kind of been procrastinating about buying it for ages and well... now I have.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. Gone with the wind, I absolutely LOVE that book. :D The rest I have yet to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books this week! I love Gone With the Wind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, Finnikin of the Rock!! Hope you enjoy all of your books, :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gone with Wind? I haven't been brave enough to tackle that book yet, due to it's size but I enjoyed the movie so much.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.