Tuesday, 16 February 2010

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories by Tim Burton

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories by Tim Burton

Summary: From breathtaking stop-action animation to bittersweet modern fairy tales, filmmaker Tim Burton has become known for his unique visual brilliance -- witty and macabre at once.

Now he gives birth to a cast of gruesomely sympathetic children -- misunderstood outcasts who struggle to find love and belonging in their cruel, cruel worlds. His lovingly lurid illustrations evoke both the sweetness and the tragedy of these dark yet simple beings -- hopeful, hapless heroes who appeal to the ugly outsider in all of us, and let us laugh at a world we have long left behind (mostly anyway).

This only took me like 10-20 minutes to read but it was awesome, all of the poems were really good, they managed to make me laugh out loud a few times and were brilliantly morbid in a way that only something created by Tim Burton could be.

The drawings in the book were great too (and were in colour, I didn't expect that), I'd have liked it purely for the illustrations alone: there's just something I adore about Tim's style, it's simple and messy but something about it is just complex and I so wish I had the talent that he has.

He strings words and lines together in a way that most people wouldn't think of doing and this book definitely had the same charm as Burton movies do. I kind of wish he would write an actual novel, I bet it would be all kinds of epic.

One of my favourite parts of the book was this (from "Voodoo Girl", she has coloured pins sticking in her heart):
But she knows she has a curse on her,
a curse she cannot win.
For if someone gets
too close to her,
the pins stick further in.
Anyway, I really liked the book and you should read it if these kind of books are your thing or if you're into Tim Burtons style.

Later.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.