Sunday, 7 February 2010

My Love Lies Bleeding by Alyxandra Harvey

My Love Lie Bleeding by Alyxandra Harvey

Summary: The Blakes are rather different to your usual neighbours. They are vampires and some of the members of the family date back to the twelfth century. One of the children, Solange, is the only born female vampire known and, as such, she poses a direct threat to the vampire queen.

Her best friend Lucy is human, and when Solange is kidnapped Lucy and Solange's brother, Nicholas, set out to save her. Lucy soon discovers that she would like to be more than just friends with Nicholas. But how does one go about dating a vampire? Meanwhile, Solange finds an unlikely ally in Kieran, a vampire slayer on the hunt for his father's killer.


I am shocked by how much I loved this book - there has kind of been a flux of vampire fiction flooding the YA market since the whole Twilight thing so I wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I did but I really loved it, it was really different from all the other books from the vampire genre I've read.

I really liked the plot, some of the background info on the Drake family and the vampire history was a little hard to keep up with in the beginning but beyond that it was really good and one of my favourite things about it was that, unlike most books, there didn't seem to be any filler chapters - all of it was interesting, it's not a very long book but I'd rather have a book this length where it never bores me than have a really long book that is mostly filler stuff and very little actual plot.

The characters were awesome, my favourites were Nick and Lucy - those two were just the height of adorable and their little moments had me smiling or laughing or aww-ing out loud throughout the whole book but even the minor characters were great, I loved Solange's family, the over protectiveness of her brothers was cute.

The book is told in alternating POV's, half of the story is Lucy's and half is Solange's and it was almost like reading two entirely seperate stories set in the same world - there were times where their stories would be more intertwined but not always, there were two entirely seperate love stories going on and they were both really unique and felt really different from each other while reading and somehow that made it seem more real.

The main characters were really strong, it's nice to read about strong female characters - that was one of my favourite things about Lucy, despite the fact she was just a human surrounded by all these vampires, she totally held her own and wasn't afraid to stand up for herself.

I really recommend the book and if you're like me, a little reluctant to read more vampire YA fiction because there's just been so much of it recently, I still think you should give it a chance. I can't wait for the sequel so I can get another fix of Drake family awesomeness.

Later.

Note: I think the book is published under the title Hearts At Stake in the US, with a different cover too.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great book...I'll def. pick it up!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.