Wednesday, 3 February 2010

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

I meant to post this a while ago, it's official, I fail.

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater Summary: For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

I loved this book, it's one of those books that is fantasy but it manages to have such a realistic charm to it that the fantasy aspect doesn't seem far fetched.

The characters were awesome, I adored Grace and Sam's relationship and I love the fact that the book has alternating points of view so we get to know what's going on in both of their heads. Sam's narration was particularly interesting with the wolf thing, Maggie managed to make him seem always part wolf, part human - in his wolf form, there were still aspects of Sam present and when he was human, his wolf senses and all that were woven into his character too, it was just done really well.

I really loved the wolf aspect of the story, I haven't read a story about wolves/werewolves like this before, it was really original and put a new spin on the werewolf genre and it is now tied for my favourite werewolf book with Blood & Chocolate (as well as making it onto my top 12 reads of 2009 list).

This review is a little scattered, sorry, but to sum up: I loved it, you should go read it and I can't wait to read the sequel.

Also, had to be mentioned: the cover is gorgeous (both the UK & US ones, being in the UK I have the black/white/red version).

Later.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! While this wasn't my favourite of Maggie's books, I still very much enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review, I loved this book. I so agree that Maggie Stiefvater's take on werewolves is refreshingly unique and amazingly well written. I can't wait for Linger! :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.