Monday, 15 February 2010

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Summary: Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard--falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High... until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around. Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge.

If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully. Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first.


I don't even know where to begin reviewing this book: it was brilliant. Seriously. Courtney Summers has some mad skills when it comes to writing.

One of the things I really loved about the book was the fact that at times I really didn't like the main character or her choices, but even that didn't make me want to stop reading and you can hate her but relate to her and feel sorry for her at the same time. But then sometimes she's not so bad and having finished the book, I like her.

Courtney writes emotions so well and totally pulls you into the story to the point where it becomes emotionally draining--don't get me wrong, this is a good thing, it just proves her talent--and I even had to stop reading a few chapters from the end just to take a break from the effect of Regina's emotions. It's been a while since I've read a book where the emotions of the characters affected me to that degree, I'd find myself really hating a few of the characters (you'll know the ones I mean if you read the book) - I had to remind myself it was just a story a few times to calm myself down.

Because of that, I suggest you not read this book when you're in the mood for something upbeat or happy because this book isn't those things. Really, it's much deeper than just a story to entertain for a little while.

Michael was my favourite character, his past and what happens to him in the book is so sad and really, he deserves better than having someone like Regina in his life but at the same time he brings out the best in her - it's like him being such a good person starts to turn her into one by association and even if she's not what he deserves, in a way she's almost what he needs and I just loved that about their relationship.

It's difficult to explain further what I loved about the book without getting too spoiler-y so I'll just leave it at this: it was excellent, I loved it; the plot, characters and the writing and I'm so glad I already own Courtney's first book so that I can read more from her.

Later.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this book, too. And I also though the main character (Regina) was unlikable at times but that's what made the book good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very powerful book. I've heard such amazin gthings about it.. I need to read it soon!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this book...I hear it's phenomenal. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.