Friday, 5 February 2010

Sovay by Celia Rees

This review WILL contain some plot spoilers. I'll pretty much be rewriting the plot so it's more accurate. Not interested, don't read it!

Sovay
Celia Rees

England, 1783. When the rich and beautiful Sovay isn't sitting for portraits, she's donning a man's cloak and robbing travelers in broad daylight. But in a time when political allegiances between France and England are strained, a rogue bandit is not the only thing travelers fear. Spies abound, and rumors of sedition can quickly lead to disappearances. So when Sovay lifts the wallet of one of England's most powerful and dangerous men, it's not just her own identity she must hide, but that of her father. A dazzling historical saga in which the roles of thieves and gentry, good and bad, and men and women are interchanged to riveting effect.

Here's what REALLY goes on:

Sovay is about a girl named Sovay getting revenge on her fiance and then turns into a story about the French Revolution and it's effect on England. And the 4 or so possible love interests for Sovay.

Now, let's rewind. As a book about the French Revolution and it's effect on England, an awesome book. As a suspenseful book looking at some possible revolutions in England that may or may not be true (when I study the French Revolution, I'm looking at France, not other countries. So, I don't know much here), it's an awesome book. As a romance of a 17-year-old girl in 1794 (when the book actually takes place. Way to fail goodreads) who's wronged by her love and then has to to find new love? Utter failure.

The book had so many potential love interests and Sovay seems interested in so many of them, my brain could not keep it all straight. And then the true love interest doesn't come in until the very end! And the ending was so fast paced, that the epilogue summed up everything that happened years later in a page. I kinda went "Erm...wha?"

Truly, this was a good book. I can't lie there. But this book took me a week to read because it wasn't what I was looking for. I was looking for a romance and I got a book about politics and highwaymen. Really, I love the French Revolution and probably would've loved this book had I read it and been expecting what really goes on in this book and been in the mood to read a book like it. But I was looking for a romance when I picked this up off my pile and was very disappointed.

I do have to end this by saying that if you do like historical fiction and like the French Revolution and everything about it, go buy this book. By all means, it IS a well done story. Just, don't read it for the romance.

Now, I'm not going to do this every time, but since this wasn't a glowing review like I usually do, I'm just gonna link you guys to a couple of positive reviews as well. They're kind of spoiler-y too though.

http://keris.typepad.com/chicklet/2009/08/review-sovay-by-celia-rees.html
http://www.curledupkids.com/sovay.html
http://www.teenreads.com/reviews/9781599902036.asp

--Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.