Saturday, 13 February 2010

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Summary: It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heart, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him. This is my story. A letter from nowhere.

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back?

The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost


I am so glad this book had such a pretty cover because the cover was what made me notice it while browsing through books on Amazon, I can't even fully put into words how much I loved the book. Seriously, it has earned Lucy Christopher a spot on my favourite authors list.

It was so.. heartbreaking and real. The further into the book you get, the more you feel Gemma's emotions and by the end of it, you feel just as torn as she is... I loved Ty's character and throughout the story I'd find myself mad at Gemma for things she'd do or say to him but then I'd remember he's the one in the wrong, not her and that she was totally justified in being that way and then when he'd save her or help her, I'd think he was so sweet and awesome but then I would remember that she wouldn't have needed help or needed to be saved if it wasn't for him.

I thought I understood Stockholm's Syndrome before reading this book but after reading, it made me see it in a whole different way, you feel almost an echo of it yourself by the end of the book. It really made me wonder what I'd do in Gemma's situation, by the end of the book, I don't think I would've been as strong as she was.

Ty's story was so sad, everything he went through and in spite of everything, it's difficult to see him as a monster or a bad person - he has this weird innocence about him, he sees the world differently to other people, in a city or around lots of people he just doesn't fit in, he's like a part of the land he loves so much, he belongs there and because of him seeing things differently, he thinks he's saving things when really it's like he's the one who needs saving - it's heartbreaking.

The book managed to make me cry multiple times, the last paragraph of the book was the worst - by worst, I mean so powerful and amazing that I was crying for a good ten minutes after reading and my mind was left reeling long after I'd finished the story.

This is one of those books that is like a triple threat - it has great characters, an amazing plot and it's really well written... some books don't get firm ticks in all three boxes but this one does. Lucy Christopher is a brilliant writer and I now rank her right up there on the awesome author scale with people like John Green and Melina Marchetta (two of my favourites) and I can't wait to read any other books she writes.

You should go read the book, honestly, my review doesn't even do it justice.

Later.

6 comments:

  1. GREAT review! I'm a big fan of Lucy and her books, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Yay!

    By the way, if you liked this, you should definitely read Lucy's new book Flyaway. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flyaway went straight onto my wish list after reading this. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been dying to read this book. It sounds so amazing and your great review has only made me want it more. Glad you loved it. :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stolen isn't in stores in the US yet.. sadly.. but I pre-ordered it now. (available on May 1st in the usa)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello,
    my name is pratibha and i am from india.
    i read theplot and the excerpt from the book..it's awesome..
    i can't wait to read it.. but i am unable to find the ebook download.
    Would u be kind enough to send me the ebook on my mail id: jena_pratibha@yahoo.in

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book was excellent. From beginning to end it captures the reader and keeps them hooked. I could not put the book down once i started.. i was dying to know the end! The book was pulled the reader into the settings giving them the ability to feel the heat and pains that Gemma experiences and in the end leaves the reader satisfied.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.