Monday, 1 March 2010

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Summary:
Frankie Landau-Banks at age 14: Debate Club.Her father’s “bunny rabbit.”
A mildly geeky girl attending a highly competitive boarding school.

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 15:
A knockout figure.
A sharp tongue.
A chip on her shoulder.
And a gorgeous new senior boyfriend: the supremely goofy, word-obsessed Matthew Livingston.

Frankie Laundau-Banks. No longer the kind of girl to take “no” for an answer. Especially when “no” means she’s excluded from her boyfriend’s all-male secret society. Not when her ex boyfriend shows up in the strangest of places. Not when she knows she’s smarter than any of them. When she knows Matthew’s lying to her. And when there are so many, many pranks to be done.

Frankie Landau-Banks, at age 16: Possibly a criminal mastermind.

This is the story of how she got that way.

After a bad couple of days, I wanted to lose myself in someone elses story for a while but the first two books I picked up I just couldn't get in to, then I tried this one: third book was the charm, this one hooked me right from the very beginning.

A strange thing happened when I had finished reading this book, something that doesnt happen often: I just didn't know what I thought of it.

Oh, a part of me registered that I had thoroughly enjoyed reading the book -- after all; it was original, well written, amusing and had a very realistic feel to it that not many books quite capture well -- but I couldn't for the life of me decide whether I loved or hated the ending, whether I like Frankie or the other characters and whether or not I thought any of the characters were justified in saying or doing or thinking what they did.

Usually when reading a book, by the time it's finished I will either love it or hate it or just be thinking "meh, it was okay" but no matter what: I always have a clear opinion in general and on the little things too - I always have stuff to say, but I just don't with this... other than saying it was brilliant in general, I don't know what to think.

So, to sum up, the book almost left me totally speechless, which is very good thing, trust me. As someone who is highly overly opinionated about most things and has a tendency to ramble like there's no tomorrow: leaving me baffled about what to think is not an easy feat to achieve, but E. Lockheart has managed it and it didn't feel like a negative thing. I am impressed.

I really loved the overall message of the story and while I don't know whether I love or hate Frankie, I totally respect her (that's right, a fictional character has my respect).

Let me know in the comments if you've read it and what you thought about it and if you haven't read it then I suggest you do.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. I read the book too. It was one of the books where you had to think before you create an opinion because it was unique in it's own way.

    Here's my review:
    http://tuningintoyabooks.blogspot.com/2010/01/disreputable-history-of-frankie-landau.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the book. In the end, it took me a while to formulate an opinion, but in the very end I decided I liked it. I like Frankie's character, because I think if I knew someone like that, I would probably like them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.