Monday, 29 March 2010

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall
Rachel Hawkins

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

I think by now you all know my reluctance with wizarding books. If you aren't, let me inform you: They. Scare. Me. I know they're all going to be hugely different, but the brilliance of Harry Potter cannot be touched in my mind. I don't want to end up not liking a book just because it can't live up to the amazingness of Harry Potter.

But Rachel has this amazing presence on twitter and she's such a sweet person, I had to get the book. The glowing reviews this book was getting certainly helped me with that as well. So, a week and a half after it came out, I requested it to be waiting for me at one of my local Barnes and Nobles and picked it up after seeing Alice in Wonderland.

Oh. My. Archer.

This book was just so insanely different. There was a twist at every turn that I didn't see coming. And the mean girls were genuine and the regular girls were genuine. Everything in the book felt *real*, which is quite the feat for a book at a school full of witches, faeries, werewolves, ghosts, and a vampire or two.

Rachel's voice shines through Sophie's narration. While far from being a Mary Sue, I can feel Rachel in every word, can feel the effort she put into it and I can see the similarities between author and character. I can see the author as the actual person writing this book instead of some faceless drone.

And Archer. Oh, dear, sweet Archer. WHY? *coughs* Erm...right. The love interest is very interesting and kind, though he does seem a bit Darcy-ish and brooding at first...*drools*. Where was I?

Pretty much, everyone needs to read this book. Needs to. Even if you will have to wait like a year for the sequel. More people need to wait with me, anyway.

--Julie

5 comments:

  1. LOL! Had fun reading your review! And I'm glad it lived up to your expectations (after the best wizard/witch series, it is a scary thought).

    It's on my TBR now. Awesome review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am awaiting this book right now actually, and I can't wait to read it! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I agree...I hear people saying it's too much like (fill in other book here) and I have to say to them, did you even read it? It's nothing like those other books at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review!! I'm super, super anxious to get to HH now :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won't lie, I LOVE the name Archer. Seriously, it just has that ring to it that makes me...i dunno.. swoon?
    And not even characters named archer (like from Fire) but just the name! This one is going on my must-read just because of that :)
    Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.