Saturday, 13 March 2010

Historic Saturday (8)

Historic Saturday is a meme I use to expose the world to more historic YA. Too many people seem to be afraid of this wonderful subgenre.

Song of the Sparrow
Lisa Ann Sandell

Since the days of King Arthur, there have been poems and paintings created in her name. She is Elaine of Ascolat, the Lady of Shalott, and now there is a book all her own. The year is 490 A.D. and 16-year-old Elaine has a temperament to match her fiery red hair. Living on a military base with her father, brothers, and the rest of Arthur's army, Elaine pines for the handsome Lancelot, and longs for a female friend. But when the cruel, beautiful Gwynivere arrives, Elaine is confronted with startling emotions of jealousy and rivalry. Can Elaine find the strength to survive the birth of a kingdom?

To say I don't know much about Arthurian legend would be an understatement. I know there was an Arthur, a Merlin, a Lancelot, a Round Table, and some girls running around. and a couple of battles. Whoopee. But for some reason, this is a book that called me and I finally answered that call a little while ago.

I opened this book and was immediately shocked to find it's all told in verse, similar to Ellen Hopkins' style, but without all the little extras. This kind of put me off because I'm not a huge fan of verse and I really wasn't looking for it here.

The story didn't interest me as much as I had hoped. It was an interesting story, but it seemed to drag on with useless detail. I felt like I just skimmed through pages because there was nothing really going on besides Elaine mending something or observing the world around her. But her world rarely changes and she does this a few times. You really only need it once.

This is a nitpicky thing, but all the dialogue was in italics. It was kind of confusing who was talking sometimes.

There was plenty of drama and suspense to keep a person interested, especially since I think this book was supposed to be a variation of the typical Arthurian legend and the romance and character developments were very well done.

Overall it was a good book, but a bit confusing and with a lot of fluff.

--Julie

P.S.: I do still have to write reviews for Forget-Her-Nots, As You Wish, and Nobody's Princess. I will get on those next week, but I want to spread out my reviews more so I have time to read sequels and classics that I don't review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.