Sunday, 21 March 2010

In My Mailbox (12) - Julie

In My Mailbox is a meme started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea at Pop Culture Junkie.

I had an interesting week. I got my first book from using swagbucks (to fill in some gaps, I earned the bucks to get a $5 gift card for Amazon then ordered from there) and I won two books on twitter that got here really quick!

Clementine by Sophie Masson:
In 1771 two christenings take place. Both babies receive gifts which have dramatic repercussions some years later, when they stumble upon a castle they have never seen before. Lord Arthur and Raphael Brown, 100 years later, are determined to discover if the legend of the castle is true.

I was kind of disappointed because this was supposed to be a new book and it definitely isn't (you guys can't smell this thing), but it shipped from the UK, so I can't be bothered to try and get a new one. Plus, it was insanely cheap.

Likely Story by David Von Etten:
Mallory's mother is a big-name soap-opera star. When Mallory comes up with an idea for a daytime soap aimed at teens that would deal with real-life situations, this pedigree helps her get a shot at creating and writing it. In the process, she learns to stand up for herself and to do what is right—even if it means facing tough consequences. A collaboration among three authors—soap-opera writer Chris Van Etten, David Ozanich, and David Levithan, who is known for sensitive portrayals of teens—Likely Story occasionally has an uneven tone, as tender moments are blended with a realistic look at the soap-opera business. Still, Mallory comes across as a likable, regular teen despite growing up on television sets and having a mother as selfish and manipulative as any daytime-drama villain. Her snappy narrative is filled with a believable mix of self-doubt, scathing humor, and real emotion. The book never indulges in the glamour of the television lifestyle, but focuses on the story and characters.

I won this from @randomhousekids asking us to tweet our favorite David Levithan novel and then get a copy. So I went for it. It got her really fast too!

Stray by Rachel Vincent: There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them.

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .

Melissa Marr announced on twitter she had 6 books remaining from her 60 book giveaway and needed music suggestions. So the first 6 people to tweet some, got a book. I did so and got a SIGNED copy of Stray yesterday. My mom asked "Are you shopping used now?" Then I explained and she's like "You should so hold onto that!" Thanks mom. Thanks a lot for the advice.

(And in the background is the pile of books I need to giveaway. It's been there for a while)

That's it! But I know next week I should probably get one or two other books (I ordered them this week using my swagbucks giftcards) and maybe some swag that I'm super excited to see. Can't wait to show them to you guys!

--Julie

3 comments:

  1. Wow, nice wins! The first one, Clemntine, looks and sounds very interesting, though, lol, I'm glad I can't smell it, I guess. And hehe, I'm a swagbucks addict. I think I've cashed in $50 worth of Amazon gift cards already (to spend on books of course) and can cash in another $15 with the bucks I have now. It's amazing! *o*
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clementine looks really interesting. Great books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for swagbucks!! Also signed books rule, I've built up a very small collection from blogging and entering contests and going to signings.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.