Friday, 2 April 2010

Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns by John Green
UK release date: May 2010

Summary: Who is the real Margo?

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life - dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. She has disappeared. Q soon learns that there are clues in her disappearance ...and they are for him. Trailing Margo's disconnected path across the USA, the closer Q gets, the less sure he is of who he is looking for.

I was sent a copy of the paperback of Paper Towns and I've actually read it before but I'm not sure I reviewed it so I figured I would now.

Paper Towns was; brilliant, fantastic, amazing, hilarious... the list of positive adjectives I could come up with to describe this book is almost endless. It's definitely one of my all time favourite books.

John Green is just one of those really talented authors who write the kind of books that make you really think and feel and make you say, "damn! I wish I had written that!" while knowing you probably never could because the kind of stories he creates require a kind of talent and imagination that not many people have.

As for more specific reasons for loving the book, well, it made me laugh a lot... but it still managed to have a deep and meaningful story, I haven't read a lot of books that manage to get the right balance between humour and seriousness but Paper Towns executes it perfectly and the overall message in the book is really great.

The characters are awesome, they're the kind that you end up wishing were real so you could be friends with them but at the same time, they're realistic and you could easily find -- or maybe already have -- friends like these characters.

And then, of course, there's John Green's writing - he's one of those authors that I consider a triple threat because they can create great characters and plots and manage to do it while making the story really well written (almost poetic at times). And again, not many authors have that talent in my opinion, usually they excel at one aspect and because of that you don't really notice or care about the fact they're not fantastic at the other areas but John is really good at all three aspects of writing.

Whenever I'm recommending books to people, John's books are always on the list and Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns are my favourites of his (as well as just being two of my favourite books in general), so if you haven't read Paper Towns then you should go check it out and his other books too.

[Random fact: John is also writing the movie script for Paper Towns, so hopefully some time in the near future we'll get to see a Paper Towns movie]

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you really hit all the wonderful parts of this book and John Green. I loved this book. I laughed and laughed and had to share with someone around me why I was laughing. John Green is an amazing author...I can't wait to get my hands on Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.