Friday, 5 March 2010

Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard

Long time, no review, eh? But I finally am making myself sit down and write reviews because I'm almost done with book number four I want to review. Historic Saturday's post is already written up and after this is posted, I'm going to do the next book (not posted until Monday though) . Then I'll be all caught up. :)


Prada and Prejudice
Mandy Hubbard

To impress the popular girls on a high school trip to London, klutzy Callie buys real Prada heels. But trying them on, she trips…conks her head…and wakes up in the year 1815!

There Callie meets Emily, who takes her in, mistaking her for a long-lost friend. As she spends time with Emily’s family, Callie warms to them—particularly to Emily’s cousin Alex, a hottie and a duke, if a tad arrogant.

But can Callie save Emily from a dire engagement, and win Alex’s heart, before her time in the past is up?

More Cabot than Ibbotson, Prada and Prejudice is a high-concept romantic comedy about finding friendship and love in the past in order to have happiness in the present.

I looked at this novel and went "Erm...huh?" I'm not big on Pride and Prejudice modern retellings. Or ones that send people back in time. But I was very much surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel.

Callie is relatable and her reaction to the whole ordeal is very understandable. I liked how defiant she was, bringing in modern day ideas. I certainly don't blame her for it either.

The way Mandy wrote Alex, it was like meeting a new Mr. Darcy. He was cold and stand off-ish and didn't blame Callie for hating him. Hell, I kind of hated him until I remembered he's a new Mr. Darcy and clearly cannot be that evil. Once his actions were explained and misunderstandings cleared up...he was like the "reformed" Mr. Darcy. Pulling that off is a tremendous feat, in my opinion.

My only disappointment was in the ending, for my own personal reasons. I don't want to give it away, but I'd really like to see a sequel!

For historical fiction lovers or lovers of Prada and Prejudice who aren't very strict Austenites, this novel is for you guys!

--Julie

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds really cute, and I love Pride and Prejudice, so I'm defaintly going to buy it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like must read - seems enticingly cute! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll add this to my list of books to read. I am almost ready for a new one and this sounds good. Thanks for such a great blog. Barb

    www.barbwhitti.blogspot.com

    Come check it out. About reading books and writing books.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.