Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Willow by Julia Hoban

Willow by Julia Hoban

Summary: Several months ago on a rainy March night, Willow's parents drank too much at dinner and asked her to drive them home. But they never made it- Willow lost control of the car, and both of her parents were killed. Now the only way she knows how to survive and control the pain is by secretly cutting herself. But when Willow meets Guy, a boy as sensitive and complicated as she is, she finds it hard to keep the secret that's written all over her body.

This book is mind boggling, and totally compelling. I saw it at the book store and the cover took hold of my attention, I just had to see what it was about. I opened to the first page, and immediately after the first paragraph I couldn't stop, I read straight through until I finished it. This book shows some very, while disturbing, authentic and moving ideas.

Surely from reading that summary, you know that she is a cutter. And if you don't know what a cutter is, here is a convenient wiki link about self injury
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-injury. Many of the scenes in the book are highly graphic, but not over the top, you won't be rolling your eyes. Which makes it even more disturbing in some ways, but this book really makes you feel as if you know Willow and as if this is a true story.

Both of the main characters are so well described and so in depth, which is what makes the story so compelling. Even the supporting characters are three dimensional. And of course, this book is also a love story between Willow and Guy(yes that is his name). Guy is the only person Willow can really be herself around. Guy's sensitivity and understanding make him the kind of guy that anybody would be lucky to know. This book takes place after Willow's parents' death and the third-person narration reflects the way the cutting numbs the pain that hurts worse, takes her away from her thoughts, feelings, and snapshots of the accident. I would love to farther analyze and summarize the book, but I don't think I can give you any more without spoiling the entire story.The book is utterly amazing and I recommend it to all of you.

-Janet

6 comments:

  1. Crazy...the blog I was just on was talking about how great this book was. I'm so glad I entered a contest to win it. Now, even if I don't win...I'll be getting it. It sounds great...awesome review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this one too after reading like a bazillion glowing reviews. I haven't read it yet, but I definitely expect a lot from it! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, and your welcome, haha this book really is fabulous, it has multiple personalities. Some parts are devastating and some make you smile. Yea, you guys should definitely read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard such great things about this one. Need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book I tells talk all about what had happened concerning willows life and her parents who had died in the car accident. She also had fell in love with a guy thats also his name who stips her from cutting herself and cares about whoever haven't read this book really needs to its awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book its so awesome I have read it many times and it sounds really great. Those who never read this book read it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.