Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Wither
Lauren DeStefano
Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing
[March 22, 2011]

What if you knew exactly when you would die?

Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.

But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left.

This was probably one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read.

People always say how Shiver and Linger are beautifully written and kind of lyrical, and they are. But I think Wither is even beyond that. I was swept away into the alternate universe. I read it over a couple days in various locations and I can't remember any of the locations I read it in. I know there was a brief stint in the car, but otherwise? I couldn't tell you where I was. I was that engrossed in the story. The way only amazing writing can manage.

The characters in this novel weren't cardboard. Both of Rhine's sister wives were hard to love, but I did anyway. My heart ached for all three of the girls, even though Linden wasn't really that horrible. I actually kind of liked Linden and pitied him. I care pretty much everyone in this novel, except Linden's father. His father I purely loathed.

This story was heartbreaking and beautiful and I think if I could I would just repeat this sentence over and over again and call it a review. I have no other words that'll really express how much I love this book. This is one book that goes above and beyond it's gorgeous cover.

--Julie

5 comments:

  1. I wasn't quite as amazed by Wither as you were, but I do agree that Lauren's writing is amaaazing! <3
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very interesting book(:
    And I love the cover, great review!:D
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm married to WITHER. But I'm planning on divorcing as soon as WITHER #2 comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this book was amazing. I think I loved everything about it.

    Your review is great. I just posted mine yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me hooked when you said it was more beautifully written than Shiver. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.