Sunday, 25 April 2010

Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle

So, I'm now reading the sequel to this book, but I wanted to put up my review of the first book.

Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle
Twins Persephone and Penelope are of two minds about their coming-out season. Pen is excited about the social whirl. Persephone would rather be home studying magic with their beloved governess, Ally. But when Ally disappears somewhere in Kensington Palace, the girls must harness their magical skills amidst the swirl of balls and presentations to find her. This wonderfully crafted debut novel braids several very different story lines into an utterly satisfying whole. The mystery of Ally’s whereabouts mingles with a plot to control the throne of the soon-to-be Queen Victoria. Persephone’s strong attraction to her handsome neighbor, Lochinver, provides a romantic element that makes for twists and turns, some of which are obvious ploys, but fun nonetheless.

I extremely enjoyed this book, and I usually don't like historical-y books, but this one I enjoyed throughly and was highly anticipating the sequel. 

So, it takes place during the 1830s, a time where all some women did were learn proper etiquette, get married and have children. But the thing about Pen and Persy is that they're witches - along with trying to be proper and ladylike while trying to find suitors. 

So, of course once they're presented to the Queen and whatnot everything starts to go wrong. Their governess disappears and they desperately want to find her. The problem is, they hardly ever have any time alone to search and on top of all that Persy falls in love with Lochinver and the Queen has taken a sudden interest in them.

I think I would think myself similar to Persy because she's extremely shy and strong-willed, kind, witty. She was my favourite character out of the book.

The end of the book shocked me because I wasn't expecting what happened to happen but it was a lovely surprise.

The sequel, Betraying Season, is about Persy's twin sister Pen, and I'm currently reading it, like I mentioned above. 

I would highly recommend these books to anyone because they're extremely amazing!

Rating: 4/5 stars

-Deanna xx




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.