Saturday, 24 April 2010

In My Mailbox (16) - Lanna

In My Mailbox is a meme started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea at Pop Culture Junkie.

For Review:

The Named
by Marianne Curley

Summary: Imagine if you were able to change history. By altering one tiny thing you could start a chain of catastrophic events. Ethan is one of the Named, fated to stop this ever happening, although the forces of chaos have other ideas and Ethan is finding it more and more difficult to stay one step ahead. He is also a normal schoolboy, whose life is rapidly becoming far too confusing. So when Isabel arrives on the scene she is only going to make matters worse . . . or is she? This is history in the making – literally.

I actually had this one somewhere in my To Be Read pile, I think I bought it last year or something because someone recommended it to me, but I didn't really look more into it until I got this copy in the mail, it sounds really good. I love the new cover too. (This is, obviously, one of the books I now have multiple copies of - I need to figure out what to do with those, suggestions?)


Eight Days In Darkness
by LCSW, Angela Roegner, Anita Wooldridge

Summary: On June 25, 1998, Anita Wooldridge was taken from her parents' home in broad daylight by a convicted rapist. For eight terrifying days, Anita was savagely beaten and raped by her captor, who locked her in a metal storage cabinet for hours at a time. With only a steadfast faith in God to comfort her, Anita refused to give up hope that she would be found.

Eight Days in Darkness chronicles the shocking events of Anita's kidnapping, including her transport across state lines, and the impressive efforts of local authorities and FBI agents which led to her rescue and the dramatic capture and conviction of her abductor. Anita's story is still used today as a case study for prospective FBI agents, and Eight Days in Darkness paints a portrait of the real-life battle between good and evil.

I wasn't going to accept this one for review, but I read some of the preview chapters online and got kind of hooked - the subject matter is awful, but the book itself is good... the fact it's a true story is kind of horrifying.

Bought (I'll link to the summaries instead of pasting this time):


(please forgive the blurryness of the third cover, I couldn't find a decent sized one)

Knight Angels by Abra Ebner

I actually wanted this one before I saw it on Julie's Waiting on Wednesday this week (I even direct messaged the author on Twitter a few weeks ago about when it would be available on Amazon because I couldn't find it, psh. But she messaged me when it was up and I decided to get it, even though it means I need to get it shipped from the US). It sounds awesome and the cover is all kinds of wonderful.

Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles


And this is the part where I am internally *SQUEE*-ing with delight. I've been dying to read this one since I heard about it and even more since I saw the trailer for it. Also, on a kind of related note, there will be an interview with Simone up on Monday. ♥♥♥

At First Site by Catherine Hapka


I heard about this one ages ago and forget about it until recently, luckily I remembered it just after it was released so I don't need to wait ages for it. I've been craving some Simon RomCom's and this one sounds good. (Sort of off topic: I kind of wish they would give the RomComs different covers because the cartoon-y ones don't do the books justice, they make them look childish almost... I think the route they've taken for Endless Summer by Jennifer Echols is much better.)

Later.

9 comments:

  1. I've got The Named too...it looks really good! And oooh at Rules Of Attraction! I LOVED Perfect Chemistry and can't wait to get myself a copy of this...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Named is really good, and I'm excited that you have Rules of Attraction! My copy is stuck in the post somewhere, I think. *cries*

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Books!! I love the cover for Knight Angels by Abra Ebner :) Enjoy them all !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome books this week. I really want to read Knight Angels and I loved Rules Of Attraction. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome books! Wow...you got some good ones and the covers are lovely!

    Here's my IMM for the week: http://bookielaura.blogspot.com/2010/04/in-my-mailbox-42410.html

    I hope you have an awesome Sunday!
    Laura from the Bookie Bunch ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I picked up Rules of Attraction this week too and have already plowed through all but the last 50 or so pages (I picked it up yesterday morning). Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The premise of The Named looks really interesting. Enjoy!

    http://laughingstars.net/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.