Saturday, 17 April 2010

Ink Exchange & Stopping Time by Melissa Marr

And so the whole "reviewing books I read ages ago but didn't review" thing continues...

Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

[Note, this is a companion novel to Wicked Lovely, not the direct sequel - Fragile Eternity is the actual sequel to WL]

Summary: Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance among the Faery Court has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow.

Seventeen-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

The tattoo does bring changes—not the kind Leslie has dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faery world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils. . . .

If you read my review of Wicked Lovely, you'll know I was kind of on the fence about it. With this book, I liked it much better.

I loved the characters in this one so much more and the story was even better than Wicked Lovely.

The three main characters were brilliant, I loved Leslie and Irial and Niall - Niall and Leslie were minor characters from Wicked Lovely that I really liked and I love that we got to see more of them in this book, only as main characters.

Leslie's story is heartbreaking -- really, the relationship between all three characters is heartbreaking and it's such an unusual story in the sense that you're wishing the characters will get a happy ending but even the happy endings have their thorns, it's bittersweet no matter what happens.

Although I did like this book a lot and better than the first book, there was still a small part of me that had similar issues as I did with Wicked Lovely, in that I didn't like the ending. This book definitely worked better for me though, perhaps it was because I liked the characters much better in this one and the character I hated from Wicked Lovely wasn't really in Ink Exchange.

I think that maybe Melissa Marrs style just isn't my kind of thing because although I thoroughly enjoy reading her stories, I always have issues with the endings and that's the kind of thing that will irritate me long after I put the book down, it's like I don't get that sense of closure for the story after I finish the last page (which I explained in my Wicked Lovely review).

Stopping Time by Melissa Marr

This a free online sort of sequel to Ink Exchange (but I think it is included as an extra in the Fragile Eternity paperback?) and I was so happy when I saw Melissa had written this because I wanted to see more from those three characters. I really enjoyed it a lot. I can't say much else about what I think of it without spoiling it -- or the ending of Ink Exchange -- for you guys so I'll just leave it at that. Click HERE to find it on Harperteen (for free, although it is on some other sites too).

You should definitely check out Ink Exchange because despite my somewhat bipolar opinions of Melissa's books she is a great writer and her stories and characters have you hooked from the first page right through to the last.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. fragile eternity is the THIRD book. ink exchange is the second. duh. its supposed to b a cliff hanger. how else will the beginning of the next book be irresistable. ugh, learn how to review a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hai, there Anonymous!

    A few things:

    1. Wicked Lovely is the first book in the series... chronologically, Ink Exchange is the second book in the series, but it's a COMPANION novel. It has a different set of main characters than WL does and it doesn't matter which order you read WL and IE in.

    Fragile Eternity may be the third book released but it is the DIRECT SEQUEL to Wicked Lovely... as in, it goes back to focusing on main characters from Wicked Lovely.

    So you're right, Fragile Eternity is the third book released, I'm well aware of that but Ink Exchange is not the direct sequel to Wicked Lovely. You might want to check your facts before getting snarky with people, K?

    Second of all, a book review is an OPINION of a book - as in, I write what I think of the book... just because you don't agree with what I wrote does not mean I need to "learn how to review a book."

    And I'm also well aware of the concept of cliff hangers and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't... although, for the record, the ending of Ink Exchange isn't much of a cliff hanger.

    I just didn't really like the ending much -- and from your immature comment, I'm assuming you don't agree... well, I hate to disappoint you sweetheart, but opinions are subjective. If you don't know what that word means, look it up in the dictionary. :)

    Oh and seriously, if you're going to leave a bitchy comment then at least have the guts to sign in and say it instead of hiding behind your little anonymous mask.

    Last thing: if you don't like my reviews, and I truly mean it when I say this... piss off. :) No one is forcing you to read them and quite frankly I don't care if you read my reviews or not, I do this for me, not moronic little asshats like you.

    I think I'm done now. Have a nice day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are lots of holes in them. It is a cold story i think.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.