Monday, 19 April 2010

Tuck Everlasting: Book & Movie Reviews

I meant to start a monthly/whatever feature where I review books-turned-movies but always the procrastinator, that didn't happen. But I read Tuck Everlasting recently and I wanted to review both the book and the movie.

I'll start with the book:

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

Summary: Doomed to - or blessed with - eternal life after drinking from a magic spring, the Tuck family wanders about trying to live as inconspicuously and comfortably as they can. When ten year old Winnie Foster stumbles on their secret, the Tucks kidnap her and explain why living forever at one age is less than a blessing that it might seem.

I really loved this book and it's quite hard to put into words exactly why I loved it but I'll give it a try.

As with all books that I really love, the characters were brilliant and the writing was really good but on top of that, the story was unique too - I've never read another book like this one and the only books I can think of that even begin to compare plot-wise (but still not quite) are more recent and Tuck Everlasting was out first, it truly was original, especially the ending.

The weird thing about reading this, for me, was that I just felt really content while reading it. With bad books I'll feel bored and with good books I'll be on an emotional roller coaster getting caught up in the action or romance or suspense of the story but with Tuck Everlasting, that didn't happen... it wasn't boring, but I was just content while reading it - this is going to sound cheesy, but it gave me that same kind of feeling I used to get when I was younger and I'd be laying on the grass with my friends in summer just looking up at the sky: just relaxed.

I said it isn't easy to explain why I loved the book and that is kind of the best I can do but it really was a great book (and it doesn't take long to read at all, the copy I have is only 139 pages long).

Now... the movie. Here is the trailer (although, I don't think the trailer does the movie justice - they kind of go OTT with the cheesy inspirational music):


The movie is really different to the book but it still had the same charm that the book did. The two main differences were Winnie's age and Miles... at least, those were the most dominant differences to me.

In the book, Winnie is almost 11 years old when she meets the Tuck's, but in the movie they've made her a little older and that age difference added a romance aspect to the story that wasn't in the book. The foundations for it were in the book, but the fact Winnie was so young and Jesse -- her would-be love interest in the book -- was 17 (well, in looks and attitude) made it impossible to turn it into a proper romance without crossing some lines that would ruin the story. The romance is the main reason that I loved the movie, Jesse and Winnie's relationship was so... innocent and sweet.

The thing with Miles is that in the book, he is much nicer, not nearly as brooding and tortured as movie Miles is - although perhaps he is in the book too, but the fact Winnie is a child makes him ease up on that a little around her. My heart broke for him in the movie and after reading the book it makes it even sadder because you see what he's like when he's being kind (book Miles was actually my favourite character).

The movie made me think in a way that the book didn't (perhaps that's because I saw the movie first though). It made me really realise that the idea of forever absolutely terrifies me. And it had me thinking about what I would do in Winnie's position - I can't really explain properly without spoiling the ending but I'll just say that if I was book Winnie, I would've done the same thing but if I was movie Winnie, I would've probably chosen differently... you'll know what I mean by that if you read/watch them (or if you already have).

It's kind of funny, my favourite parts of the book aren't in the movie and my favourite parts of the movie aren't in the book and yet I love them both.

To sum up:

Book = Awesome
Movie = Awesome

It's a really beautiful story in both mediums, you should read/watch them.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. i never actually knew what this was about lol,

    sounds really interesting though. will give it a try soon :)

    great review!

    and ive had books like that before too, relaxed not heart-thumping, but not bad either :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the book and movie! The book opened up my eyes too in seeing immortality differently, I realized through this book it wouldn't be all that fun to live forever. It's one of my favorite movies too for the romance, it was sooo cute! LOL, I agree with, if I was movie Winnie, way different choice! Wonderful double reviews. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved this book and movie. I have the movie on tape and my five year old loves to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book is amazing. And the movie is too....and soooo romantic!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.