Thursday, 15 April 2010

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Seeing as I've not been reading nearly as much as I'd like to recently, I decided to go back and review some of the books I've read but haven't done reviews for yet.

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
[note, I think that is the UK cover]

Summary: The clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in this cool, urban 21st century faery tale.

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.

Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world, and would blind her if they knew of her Sight.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.

Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.

But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King and has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost. Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working any more, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

I have mixed feelings about this book and it's kind of difficult to explain but I'll try: a part of me loves it while another part of me hates it.

On one hand, I literally could not put it down and it did have me hooked till the end, which is always a good sign, but then on the other side... a part of me wanted to toss the book across the room when I was done.

Seth was by far my favourite character and I did love the story and although the descriptions of this whole other world alongside ours that Melissa Marr created seemed a bit much sometimes -- kind of too much description and not enough action -- it was really kind of a cool setting and spin on the whole Fae folklore thing (it's the kind of world that I would love to see turned into a movie, which I think may be happening actually).

I sometimes like Aislinn and Keenan and I'd find myself rooting for them to be together but then there would be times where they just irritated me so much and I adored Seth, he was honestly lovely, so I was kind of torn between wanting Ash and Keenan together and Ash and Seth.

For the most part, I was loving the book until near the end and the end bugged me for a few reasons:

1. There was a character in the book that I just loathed and parts of the book were in her perspective, which was irritating to read... which, I could deal with BUT! I didn't like the ending of the story much and a large part of that was because of the ending that her character got.

2. While reading the book, it often felt like there were loads and loads of unanswered questions (the specific questions have slipped my mind right now, as it was a while since I've read it but I remember the feeling) and although some questions were answered it still felt like there were loose ends and it was... unfinished almost.

Now, this may have been setting up for the sequel but I have issues with books that don't give me kind of a sense of closure by the last page, even if there will be other books in the series, I like the story arc's of the individual books to feel complete.

It really is hard to properly coherently explain my feelings on this book because I am so torn about it.

It was definitely addictive and enjoyable for the most part and it was well written with a lot of great characters and the world Melissa created was pretty awesome. It was only once I finished reading it that the more negative opinions started to surface.

I would recommend the book to other people though because I've seen a lot of people who simply adore it meaning the problem isn't something with the book so much as it just wasn't suited to my particular taste in books (and really, it's a big credit to Melissa Marr that she can write a book that has me hooked in spite of the fact there are aspects of the story that make me really not like it much).

Later.

4 comments:

  1. I loved the beginning of the book, too. But then I didn't like it because of most of the reasons you stated. So in all, I didn't enjoy the book as much as everyone else did. Thank you for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! Great review, and I agree with you about the unanswered questions. Hope you enjoy the rest of the series, if you read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently started reading this book and I've been wanting to for awhile now but... it's a bit hard to follow sometimes. Sometimes I feel like there's just WAYYY too much going on at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. when i read the first book I liked it a bit and bought the other two (unfortunately). I didn't like them. What did I not like?

    1) The love between the boys and the girl is too artificial. I didn't feel or believe it.

    2) There isn't enough description for characters, places etc. so you can't fattach yourself to the story truly. In my opinion a book should make you feel the place and feelings or whatever it tells.
    It's a cold story that has lots of holes in it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.