Monday, 17 May 2010

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Spoiler warning: they're just mild spoilers but I know some people don't like *any* spoilers at all so I figured I'd throw this in here. - Lanna (review by Leah)

Sorry, I know it's been a while. I have *just* come out of my reading funk and right when I do I start getting stressed out over school again.

But, this book was so good I just had to review it for y'all.

Title: Beastly
Author: Alex Flinn

Summary: I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way.

The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.


Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

Sound sort of familiar?

If you thought of Beauty & the Beast, you are correct.

This is a modern-day B&tB, in the Beast's point of view. I had seen the book before, in the library, at school, but I had never paid attention to it at all. Then Lanna tells me about it, I check it out of the library... and end up finishing it in just a few hours.

Yeah, that's how great it was. I loved the beast - Kyle. He was a typical rich boy: good-looking, ladies man, and extremely mean to anyone he deemed "ugly". And he picks on this large goth girl (who turns out to be the witch.) Then the next thing he knows, he's furry all over.

There are differences from this book and the movie (the Disney version!!). In the book, he has two rose petals, which means he has 2 years to find someone to love him and to love her in return, whereas in the movie it's an enchanted rose. And he doesn't live in a castle - just a really large house. But, he does have an enchanted mirror.

I thought that how he finds love in the book is sort of ironic. You'll see what I mean if you read it.

Overall, I'm telling you guys to either borrow this book or buy it. You will not be disappointed. Trust me.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good! I'd love to read it, and I'm definitely going to watch the movie! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the film a few months ago, as my sister recommended it to me and I loved it! I thought that it was heart-breaking, and if the book is half as good as the film, then I am in for a treat! I am glad that you published a review on it, because you've reminded me about this, so I will definitely add this to my list of books to read over the summer! x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.