Saturday, 22 May 2010

Historic Saturday (12)

So, today is my little brother's SIXTH birthday. Which means six months from today will be my 16th birthday(Yes, we're 6 months a part, almost to the hour. He was 12:14 in the afternoon, I was 1:01). And I'll be a junior I feel so old. X| But, he's getting Max and Ruby books from me. I had to sneak into Barnes and Noble last week and he was begging to go to the bookstore when we left, not realizing I'd just been there. I'm creating a monster, and I feel no guilt.

ANYWAY, the actual review. It's been a long time since I've done this since I haven't read any historical lately. I'm not sure when my next historic fiction will be either. BUT ANYWAY.

**This review does contain minor spoilers. Nothing direct is said and if you know the Rumpelstiltskin story, you'll know 90% of what is said anyway**




A Curse Dark as Gold

Elizabeth C. Bunce

Upon the death of her father, seventeen-year-old Charlotte struggles to keep the family's woolen mill running in the face of an overwhelming mortgage and what the local villagers believe is a curse, but when a man capable of spinning straw into gold appears on the scene she must decide if his help is worth the price.





WOO. MORE FAIRY TALE RETELLINGS.

Except, this one is clearly more related to it's fairy tale, which is Rumpelstiltskin for those who live under a rock.

This book was good, but not what I wanted. I was expecting a romance because, when you strip away all the fluff, most fairy tales are romance stories (I mean, obviously not the original Grimm versions, but the ones everybody knows). There was some, but it seemed to focus more on finances and the desperate measures Charlotte will go to to keep her family mill. Not so romantic, is it?

I LOVED the main guy in this story. He was so ridiculously sweet and he was kind of like the dream guy in my head that I will someday marry (*snort*). I felt bad for him and the way he was treated a lot. Definitely one of my favorite characters.

I also loved Charlotte's sister. She was very strong and independent, but also had a guy that was perfect with her.

Charlotte herself was very strong and brave and fairly kick ass for a nonviolent person. Pretty crappy as a spouse, but otherwise very kickass.

This story was definitely a unique twist on the Rumpelstiltskin tale. Much different from the usual, but still retaining the essence of the story and keeping things similar. I just wish there'd been more romance.

I'm gonna go read the original, Grimm Brother's version now, for more comparisons. ;)

--Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.