Sunday, 2 May 2010

In My Mailbox (18) - Lanna

In My Mailbox is a meme started by The Story Siren and inspired by Alea at Pop Culture Junkie.

This week has been ridiculously exhausting, so I haven't had much of a chance to read much but I did get a few books this week:

For review:

Obernewtyn
Isobelle Carmody

UK Release date: June 2010

Summary: In a world struggling back from the brink of apocalypse, life is harsh. But for Elspeth Gordie, born with enhanced mental abilities, it is also dangerous. Survival is only by secrecy and so she determines never to use her forbidden powers. But it is as if they have their own imperative and she is brought to the attention of the totalitarian Council that rules the Land.

Banished to the remote mountain institution of Obernewtyn, she must throw off her cloak of concealment and pit herself against those that would resurrect the terrible forces of the apocalypse. Only then will she learn most truly who and what she is . . .

Elspeth is determined to uncover the plot and so, accompanied only by her cat, Maruman, embarks on a terrible adventure full of danger, the conclusion to which promises not just uncertainty about her safety but also that of many around her.

-Summary from Bloomsbury.com

I didn't know I was getting this one, I actually added it to my wish list a while ago, it sounds really interesting.

Bought:

The Giver
Lois Lowry

Summary: In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories.

Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy.

-Summary from Amazon.com

A lot of people recommended this book, including someone on my livejournal friends list, who is actually an aspiring writer herself and currently querying agents - she's an awesome writer and it'll be so awesome if one day I'll be reviewing her book on here, from what I've read of it already it's really good)... I went a bit off topic, anyway, I trust her judgement in books. :]

Later.

4 comments:

  1. The Giver is a really amazing book! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to read The Giver. I have heard that it is very good. I hope you enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great book, it has two companion novels I also recommend: Gathering blue and the messenger

    ReplyDelete
  4. when I said this, I meant the giver

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.