Thursday, 20 May 2010

Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey


Jekel Loves Hyde
Beth Fantaskey


Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents’ rules – especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father’s office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.

To better her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen’s sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill’s accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything – even Tristen’s love – just for the thrill of being… bad.

As I LOVED Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, this was a must read. The premise and cover also really drew me in, so I went for it. But I was kind of let down.

I'd been hearing it wasn't as good as Jessica's, and it definitely wasn't. I still really liked it, it may even go on a favorite shelf, but it just didn't have that special WOW factor Jessica had.

Tristen was pretty damn dreamy, I won't deny it. I kind of loved him. But he lacked the snark of Lucius. And he has some...well he has a past that kind of makes me go "Erm...."

Jill was very back and forth on things. Sometimes I wasn't sure if I was coming or going with her.

But, I have to give credit where credit is due. Ms. Fantaskey once again wove a tale that shocked me. Even when I was sure I had it figured it out, I still wasn't fully right. You readers that have been reading my reviews for a while know that's one of the top things I look for in a book. And I certainly got what I was looking for here.

If you're looking for another Jessica's Guide, this isn't it. But this is still a pretty fabulous book! I'm excited to see what's next from this author!

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I've heard so-so thoughts on this one, and I'm not sure it's really for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I have Jessica's Guide to Dating, but I haven't read it yet. Maybe I should read that first?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.