Friday, 28 May 2010

Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Rules of Attraction
by Simone Elkeles

Summary: When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado.

Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did.

Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.

Okay, I absolutely loved the first book, Perfect Chemistry, seriously adored it. Well, I think I actually love Rules of Attraction even more and I didn't think that would be possible but the book was fantastic.

I honestly don't know how Simone does it, she seems to have a talent for writing stories that have the freakish ability to make my heart melt, I'm truly impressed.

The characters were brilliant, with Alex and Brittany as minor characters this time (it was funny seeing their relationship through other peoples eyes in this book).

And then there's Carlos. Carlos was... wow - major fictional boy crush. Really, he was the perfect bad boy with a good heart and I loved that Kiara didn't have to change for him and even though he changed, it didn't seem like he did, it was like that's the person he was all along and he was just fighting against it.

And Kiara, she's now one of my favourite female protagonists. For some reason girls in stories like this can seem annoying, but she wasn't, she was content with just being herself and she was awesome without turning into a complete Mary Sue. Her family were great, they were really nerdy and cheesey and that was weirdly a part of their charm.

Oh, and Tuck, I have to mention him. He was just brilliant, the awesome gay best friend who was sweet and funny and irritating in a good way.

Basically, I loved all of the characters, even the bad guys were perfectly bad.

The book was surprisingly funny, it managed to make me laugh out loud quite a few times even though comedy is one of the last labels I'd give this book, I loved that aspect of it though, Simone managed to perfectly weave humour in a relatively serious story without it being out of place.

Another talent that Simone has: writing perfect endings. Not many authors can pull off those kind of endings (example of failed attempt: Breaking Dawn), but somehow Simone pulls it off and it doesn't seem cheesey and it leaves me with just the right amount of closure when I finish the last page that I don't find myself pouting because the author didn't tie up enough loose ends for me. (Sorry, it's difficult to fully explain why I think her story endings are so awesome without, you know, spoiling the ending.)

There isn't much I can really say about the book that wouldn't get spoiler-y and this review seems kind of scattered so I'll just leave it at that. Go read it and Perfect Chemistry.

Oh, one last thing and yes I've posted this on the blog before but here is the trailer for Rules of Attraction (and also an interview with Simone on the blog):



Later.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't wait to read this book. I keep hearing these awesome things about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Perfect Chemistry and I ADORED it!! I finally gave in and ordered this one today. Ahhh! I'm so excited! These books are addicting, seriously, when I'm not reading them... I'm constantly thinking about them. I haven't felt this way about a series since Twilight! Except this one is so much better (and I agree, as much as I loved Breaking Dawn, I hated hated HATED the ending)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simone Elkeles makes me insanely happy. I love reading other people's positive thoughts about her. If I hadn't already read this book and loved it, your review would make me go buy it immediately. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't usually read YA, but the trailer for the book seemed very interesting. I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I can't wait to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.