Monday, 31 May 2010

Smart Girls and Fast Boys by Stephie Davis

Smart Girls & Fast Boys
by Stephie Davis
Summary: ON YOUR MARK. Natalie Page is overlooked and unappreciated. Yeah, sure, she can run fast. Yeah, sure, all the boys love her...as a buddy. Yeah, she has plans every weekend night...with her friends and their boyfriends.

GET SET. It's time for the world to sit up and take notice. When Natalie makes the varsity cross country team, it seems like the fast track to being cool. The popular girls notice her, the hunky captain of the boys team is giving her rides home. Natalie Page is off and running. Then she starts to fail geometry. She has to get a tutor: a very annoying boy who thinks sports is for idiots. A very smart boy who thinks she's stupid. A very cute boy who already has a girlfriend and has no interest in her. A boy she told her parents she was dating.

GO! Natalie Page can run. Now she has to decide how to finish.

-Summary from the back of the book.
I'm not sure what to say about this book really. I kind of went into it expecting it to be one of those chick-lit high school romance stories that I'm shamefully addicted to... and it was kind of, but it didn't have that unknown something that makes me love those books so much.

I did like the book, it was a quick read (the book is only 178 pages) and it was definitely entertaining. I guess the thing that lowered my opinion of it though was the characters.

There was only one character that I particularly liked and that was Matt, but even he had his moments where I just couldn't see the appeal of him. The minor characters were just kind of... there. Their personalities didn't jump off the page, I didn't find myself wishing they were real or getting particularly attached to them (usually there is at least one minor character that will stand out for me and I'll adore them) and at times they just really irritated me.

And then the biggest problem: Natalie.

She is a really annoying narrator. For the first half of the book I hated her 90% of the time, she just seemed so whiny and immature and way too shallow and caught up in her desire to be popular... now, I did warm up to her in the second half of the book, she did grow as a character but even by the end I didn't particularly like her, I just didn't hate her anymore.

This book has definitely made me realise that it's the characters that are the driving force behind my chick lit (not so) guilty pleasure because the story itself had potential.

Yeah, it followed one of the chick lit cliches of the whole fake dating someone only to end up with real feelings for that person, but that is cliche for a reason, it's really fun to read about.

One thing I did really like about the book though was that the usual jock seeing the error of his/her ways and falling for the nerd was kind of subverted and it was the nerdy guy who was the one who had to reevaluate how he views people.

So yeah, I have mixed opinions of this book but overall I'm glad I read it and I did enjoy it... I don't normally do the whole rating thing, but I'd give this one 3/5 stars, just to give you an indication of how much I liked it.

If you're into this kind of story then you should check it out, my opinions of the characters may just be something that annoys me about the book and other people might not agree.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I remember this to be one of my favourite novels in like, gr. 7 or 8. Lol, I don't remember much of it anymore but I wonder where my opinion lies now if I re-read it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.