Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Waiting on Wedensday (X)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme started by Breaking the Spine.

I'm a BIT short for time today (reading: I should be in the shower but a strange man is in my house) so, excuse the short comments and any mistakes.

Matched
Ally Condie
[November 30, 2010]

In the novel, a 17-year-old girl, who has waited her entire life to be told by a group known as “the Society” who her soul mate is, has her world upended when she discovers she’s in love with someone other than the group’s pick. Don Weisberg, president of Penguin Young Readers Group, along with Lauri Hornik, president and publisher of Dutton Children’s Books, and Julie Strauss-Gabel, associate publisher of Dutton Children’s, all worked on the deal, which is for North American rights. Gabel, who will edit the book, said that it “will make readers crave the passion of uncertainty and cherish the power of the written word.” And Reamer, expectedly perhaps, drew the Meyer parallel, saying
reading Matched reminded her of the first time she read Twilight. (Publishers Weekly)


This just sounds phenomenal and the cover is gorgeous! wantwantwantwantwantwant.


This Gorgeous Game

Donna Freitas
[May 25, 2010]

I know I know I know I should be grateful. I should be grateful to have his attention. To have him take such an interest in me. I should. I know I should. I will. No, you are grateful, Olivia, I tell myself as if I am my self's imaginary friend, sitting across the table, giving advice. Start acting grateful then, she begs. I have a gift. I have a gift from God, he says.

So rare he hasn't seen it in all his many years. I'm the real thing, he says. I'm a once in a lifetime, he says. I'm special and it's his responsibility to take me under his wing, to make sure I don't waste my talent. It would be a sin not to help me, he says. It would be a sin for me not to take his offer of help.
But I swear to God . . . no . . . scratch that . . . I'll not be swearing to God . . . I swear to Who Knows What that his latest demand, this pile of typewritten pages he hands me with a face that says, Please, Olivia, oh please don't be difficult and just do this for me, is staring, no it's glaring at me from the coffee table like a monster that might eat me.

I feel like if I touch it I will go up in flames or the pages might bite.
Am I making too much of this? Isn't it just a matter of grabbing hold of the stack and moving it in front of my eyes so my eyes will begin to scan those black marks on the page which will magically arrange themselves into words that my brain will recognize and understand and volia, I'm finished before I know it.

Then, when he asks, because he will ask, I'll be able to answer truthfully, "Yes, I read it. I did," and he will smile and I'll be Good Olivia again.
I wish I'd never won that stupid prize which is what got me noticed by him . . . no . . . what got my writing noticed by him which is what led to the initial introduction which somehow turned into communications and invitations and coffees and attending office hours and going to High Profile Events together--his words--even before the summer started.

Just...YES. YES.

Somebody Everybody Listens To
Suzanne Supplee
[May 13, 2010]

Retta Lee Jones is blessed with a beautiful voice and has big dreams of leaving her tiny Tennessee hometown. With a beaten down car, a pocketful of hard-earned waitressing money, and stars in her eyes, Retta sets out to make it big in Nashville. But the road to success isn’t a smooth one in a town filled with dreamers, and Retta begins to have doubts: can she make her mark while staying true to herslf?

From the breakout author of Artichoke’s Heart, this bighearted novel is a must-read for anyone who has ever chased a dream (or hummed along with Taylor Swift).

This one really goes with the Chick Lit mood I've been in lately. Plus, I'm a (bad) singer. Which is part of the reason I'm really busy today.

Ok, computer battery is dying and strange man is gone! Let me know what you guys are waiting on!

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited for all of those :) I loved Donna's first YA novel, The Possibilities of Sainthood! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.